* Re: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs
@ 2019-02-06  6:18 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2019-02-06  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: emacs-devel

DP> I am about to write a completely pre-emptive time-sharing system but first
DP> I need to know if I will be re-inventing the wheel.

Hi Davin,

Will this be a C extension of Emacs core?

What are your intentions for the project? What needs do you see it fulfilling?

Yours,

* Re: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs
@ 2019-02-06  8:48 ` Tom Tromey
From: Tom Tromey @ 2019-02-06  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: emacs-devel

Davin> Michael Abraham Shulman has written a coroutine feature for
Davin> Emacs at the following location.
Davin> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/coroutine.el

In a similar vein, there's also generator.el in the Emacs source tree.

Tom

* A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs
@ 2019-02-06 14:33 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2019-02-06 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I posted the following message to google groups (gnu.emacs.help) but I got
no reply.  Then I emailed Richard Stallman this message and he suggested
that I send it to the following email address:

<snip>

Michael Abraham Shulman has written a coroutine feature for
Emacs at the following location.

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/coroutine.el

I am about to write a completely pre-emptive time-sharing system
but first I need to know if I will be re-inventing the wheel.

I hope my contribution to GNU Emacs is helpful for all the
programmers out there who agonize over GNUS busy waiting all the
time.

</snip>

--
Sincerely and kindest regards, Davin.
Davin Pearson    http://davin.50webs.com

* Re: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs
@ 2019-02-06 15:35 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2019-02-06 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Davin Pearson <davin.pearson@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2019 03:33:23 +1300
>
> Michael Abraham Shulman has written a coroutine feature for
> Emacs at the following location.
>
> https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/coroutine.el

I believe the concurrency feature present in Emacs 26 is a better
solution for the same class of problems.

* Re: A completely pre-emptive time sharing system for GNU Emacs
@ 2019-02-09 14:47   ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2019-02-09 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Davin Pearson, emacs-devel