From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
To: Mekeor Melire <mekeor@posteo.de>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Should Info-url-for-node support more than just "elisp" and "emacs" manuals?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:48:23 +0200	[thread overview]

> From: Mekeor Melire <mekeor@posteo.de>
> Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2023 11:50:22 +0000
>
> In Info-mode, "G" is bound to Info-goto-node-web which opens the
> current manual-node in the browser. It uses `Info-url-for-node' to
> determine the URL, which only supports "elisp" and "emacs"
> manuals.
>
> Are you interested in a patch that adds support for more manuals? We could extend supported docs to include one of these nested sets of software packages:
>
> (1.) All manuals that Emacs contains. I.e. these?: auth autotype
> bovine calc ccmode cl dbus dired-x ebrowse ede ediff edt eieio
> elisp emacs-gnutls emacs emacs-mime epa erc ert eshell eudc eww
> flymake forms gawk gnus htmlfontify idlwave ido info mairix-el
> message mh-e newsticker nxml-mode octave-mode org pcl-cvs pgg
> rcirc reftex remember sasl sc semantic ses sieve smtpmail speedbar
> srecode todo-mode tramp url vhdl-mode viper vip widget wisent
> woman.
>
> (2.) Some more or all manuals on gnu.org.

I think we should support the manuals on gnu.org, but the problem is
it's hard to do that without an explicit list of all of them, and that
list will then have to be continuously maintained to keep it
up-to-date.

So maybe just support all of the manuals that come with Emacs, and
provide a defcustom for users to extend the list by specifying
associations of the form (MANUAL-NAME . URL) ?

> (defcustom /info-urls

We don't begin our symbols with a slash.

>   (if-let*
>     (

This is not our style of nesting parentheses.

>       ;; Encode a bunch of characters the way that makeinfo does.

I think if we need to follow Texinfo, we should have here a more
specific pointer to where this encoding by Texinfo is documented.

Thanks.