* Changes in epaths.in
@ 2012-01-10  5:31 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-01-10  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

  2012-01-10  Glenn Morris  <rgm@gnu.org>

	  * epaths.in (PATH_LOADSEARCH, PATH_DUMPLOADSEARCH, PATH_EXEC)
	  (PATH_DATA, PATH_DOC): Update the template values to be closer to
	  their typical values these days.

Is it really wise to make changes in basic Emacs configuration during
a pretest?  E.g., the change to PATH_DUMPLOADSEARCH looks non trivial
to me, and I cannot immediately assess its effects (if you can, I
would suggest to at least put it in writing in the ChangeLog entry).

This isn't a bugfix, is it?  If so, can it wait?

* Re: Changes in epaths.in
@ 2012-01-10  8:11 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-01-10  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Is it really wise to make changes in basic Emacs configuration during
> a pretest?  E.g., the change to PATH_DUMPLOADSEARCH looks non trivial
> to me, and I cannot immediately assess its effects (if you can, I
> would suggest to at least put it in writing in the ChangeLog entry).

The effects are zero, because those values are not used for anything.
Configure changes every one of them to the actual values.
The pre-defined values are essentially comments.

Of the platforms that do not use configure, MS Windows uses nt/paths.h
instead, and the msdos build (presumably) uses sed to edit all the
values it cares about.

Oh, I see it does not change PATH_DUMPLOADSEARCH, which was the only
non-absolute value. sed4.inp should probably set it back to ../lisp.
POSIX platforms have been using an absolute value for years (at least a
decade I think), so the previous comment about it being ../lisp was
misleading.

* Re: Changes in epaths.in
@ 2012-01-10  9:00   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2012-01-10  9:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

I put it back, but I do suggest you add an entry to sed4.inp anyway,
something like

/^#define *PATH_DUMPLOADSEARCH/s/".*"/"..\/lisp"/

* Re: Changes in epaths.in
@ 2012-01-10  9:43     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-01-10  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 04:00:19 -0500
>

> I put it back

Thanks.

> but I do suggest you add an entry to sed4.inp anyway, something like
>
> /^#define *PATH_DUMPLOADSEARCH/s/".*"/"..\/lisp"/

Will do when I have time.

* Re: Changes in epaths.in
@ 2012-01-14 18:08       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2012-01-14 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rgm, emacs-devel

> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 04:43:50 -0500
> From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> > From: Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 04:00:19 -0500
> >

> > I put it back
>
> Thanks.
>
> > but I do suggest you add an entry to sed4.inp anyway, something like
> >
> > /^#define *PATH_DUMPLOADSEARCH/s/".*"/"..\/lisp"/
>
> Will do when I have time.

Done.