* Time to move some .el files around?
@ 2016-02-23  2:46 Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-23  2:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers; +Cc: John Wiegley

As previously mentioned, many of the low level library files currently
in the gnus/ directory don't really belong there.  So I propose moving
the following files (where "/" means "the lisp directory"):

auth-source.el -> /
compface.el -> /image
ecomplete.el -> /
flow-fill.el -> /mail
gravatar.el -> /image
gssapi.el -> /net
html2text.el -> /net
ietf-drums.el -> /mail
mail-parse.el -> /mail
mail-prsvr.el -> /mail
mailcap.el -> /net
plstore.el -> /
pop3.el -> /net
qp.el -> /mail
registry.el -> /
rfc1843.el -> /international
rfc2045.el -> /mail
rfc2047.el -> /mail
rfc2231.el -> /mail
rtree.el -> /
sieve-manage.el -> /net
sieve-mode.el -> /net
sieve.el -> /net
smiley.el -> /image
starttls.el -> /net
utf7.el -> /international
yenc.el -> /mail

In addition, I propose making a new directory /image and moving
image-mode.el, iimage.el (etc) into that directory.

Does this sound OK?

Some minor cleanup will have to be done on some of the files before
moving, because some Gnus functions have crept into a few of the
files...

* Re: Time to move some .el files around?
@ 2016-02-23 13:01 ` Phillip Lord
From: Phillip Lord @ 2016-02-23 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers; +Cc: John Wiegley

> As previously mentioned, many of the low level library files currently
> in the gnus/ directory don't really belong there.  So I propose moving
> the following files (where "/" means "the lisp directory"):
>
> auth-source.el -> /

I've changed the test directory structure on master, so that it reflects
the file organisation. As auth-source.el has a test file, if you move
the source, you'll need to move the test as well.

Phil

* Re: Time to move some .el files around?
@ 2016-02-23 16:08 ` Jochen Hein
From: Jochen Hein @ 2016-02-23 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers; +Cc: John Wiegley

> As previously mentioned, many of the low level library files currently
> in the gnus/ directory don't really belong there.  So I propose moving
> the following files (where "/" means "the lisp directory"):

> gssapi.el -> /net

> Does this sound OK?

I suggested that file, but after my changes on the file and research
into sasl*.el I see that gssapi.el is only relevant for IMAP.  For
example we can't use gssapi.el for sieve.

So it might be ok to leave the file where it is.

Jochen

--
The only problem with troubleshooting is that the trouble shoots back.

* Re: Time to move some .el files around?
@ 2016-02-23 16:42 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-02-23 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> As previously mentioned, many of the low level library files currently in
> the gnus/ directory don't really belong there. So I propose moving the
> following files (where "/" means "the lisp directory"):
[...]
> In addition, I propose making a new directory /image and moving
> image-mode.el, iimage.el (etc) into that directory.

> Does this sound OK?

I like it.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Time to move some .el files around?
@ 2016-02-24  1:40   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-24  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Phillip Lord; +Cc: John Wiegley, Emacs developers

phillip.lord@russet.org.uk (Phillip Lord) writes:

> I've changed the test directory structure on master, so that it reflects
> the file organisation. As auth-source.el has a test file, if you move
> the source, you'll need to move the test as well.

Good point.  I'll try to make sure that all the test files are moved in
the same commit.

* Re: Time to move some .el files around?
@ 2016-02-24  1:41   ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-24  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jochen Hein; +Cc: John Wiegley, Emacs developers

Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:

> I suggested that file, but after my changes on the file and research
> into sasl*.el I see that gssapi.el is only relevant for IMAP.  For
> example we can't use gssapi.el for sieve.
>
> So it might be ok to leave the file where it is.

It's still a general, low-level networking library, so it doesn't make
sense that it lives in the Gnus directory.  Something else that wants to
talk IMAP may need it one day...

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-24  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> writes:

>> As previously mentioned, many of the low level library files currently in
>> the gnus/ directory don't really belong there. So I propose moving the
>> following files (where "/" means "the lisp directory"):
> [...]
>> In addition, I propose making a new directory /image and moving
>> image-mode.el, iimage.el (etc) into that directory.
>
>> Does this sound OK?
>
> I like it.

Great; I'll start moving stuff later today.

* Re: Time to move some .el files around?
@ 2016-02-24  2:18     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-02-24  2:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 02/23/2016 05:41 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
> Great; I'll start moving stuff later today.

In the past, when we've moved files on master, that makes it more of a
pain to merge changes to these files that are committed on emacs-25.
Just sayin'.

* Re: Time to move some .el files around?
@ 2016-02-24  2:24       ` Lars Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Ingebrigtsen @ 2016-02-24  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu> writes:

> In the past, when we've moved files on master, that makes it more of a
> pain to merge changes to these files that are committed on emacs-25.
> Just sayin'.

True.  But I've done the move now...  Oh, well.  Hopefully emacs-25 will
be released soon and this won't be much of an issue.  :-)

* Re: Time to move some .el files around?
@ 2016-02-24  6:18     ` Jochen Hein
From: Jochen Hein @ 2016-02-24  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lars Ingebrigtsen; +Cc: John Wiegley, Emacs developers

> Jochen Hein <jochen@jochen.org> writes:
>
>> I suggested that file, but after my changes on the file and research
>> into sasl*.el I see that gssapi.el is only relevant for IMAP.  For
>> example we can't use gssapi.el for sieve.
>>
>> So it might be ok to leave the file where it is.
>
> It's still a general, low-level networking library, so it doesn't make
> sense that it lives in the Gnus directory.  Something else that wants to
> talk IMAP may need it one day...

Yes.  And I tried to use gsasl with SMTP, which seems to work. So I'll
probably work on getting gssapi.el working for SMTP as well - so no real
objection to move the file around.  It's just not as generally useful as
I had hoped...

Jochen

--
The only problem with troubleshooting is that the trouble shoots back.