* Unicode 9.0
@ 2016-03-11 19:36 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-03-11 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

Unicode 9.0.0 is scheduled to be released in June this year, which is
probably around the Emacs 25.1 release date.  Unicode 9.0.0 started
its beta review today.  Should we import the updated data files into
Emacs now, so that they are part of the pretest?

* Re: Unicode 9.0
@ 2016-03-11 21:29 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-03-11 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Unicode 9.0.0 is scheduled to be released in June this year, which is
> probably around the Emacs 25.1 release date. Unicode 9.0.0 started its beta
> review today. Should we import the updated data files into Emacs now, so
> that they are part of the pretest?

If you feel safe doing so, I'd be fine with it.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Unicode 9.0
@ 2016-03-11 22:01   ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-03-11 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

John Wiegley wrote:
> If you feel safe doing so, I'd be fine with it.

+1.  The beta 9.0.0 files are more likely to be useful for Emacs 25.1 users than
the 8.0.0 files.

* Re: Unicode 9.0
@ 2016-03-12 15:53     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-03-12 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert, John Wiegley; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:01:12 -0800
>
> John Wiegley wrote:
> > If you feel safe doing so, I'd be fine with it.
>
> +1.  The beta 9.0.0 files are more likely to be useful for Emacs 25.1 users than
> the 8.0.0 files.

Done.

* Re: Unicode 9.0
@ 2016-03-17  2:57       ` David De La Harpe Golden
From: David De La Harpe Golden @ 2016-03-17  2:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 12/03/16 15:53, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
>> Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 14:01:12 -0800
>>
>> John Wiegley wrote:
>>> If you feel safe doing so, I'd be fine with it.
>>
>> +1.  The beta 9.0.0 files are more likely to be useful for Emacs 25.1 users than
>> the 8.0.0 files.
>
> Done.

This may well be something that was going without saying, but just in
case / to be pernickety, there's a specific warning on the beta 9 page:

http://unicode.org/versions/beta-9.0.0.html
"""
No products or implementations should be released based on the beta UCD
data files—use only the final, approved Version 9.0.0 data files,
expected in June 2016.
"""

It is also stated there they have already frozen the code point and
character names, and to be honest I haven't even looked at what's new in
9 in any depth. In practice there may well not be any more changes
before finalisation of 9, whether emacs-significant changes or otherwise.

And I'm _not_ objecting to the recent update (a761fbf2) of the files to
beta 9 in git for a shakedown during pretest, which I think was what Eli
meant anyway, but that's still distinct from an emacs official versioned
release tarball.

I just mean (and this very probably won't even arise in the end): at
some future time close to the emacs release, if for some reason unicode
9 still isn't officially final yet, and if for some reason you don't
want to delay the emacs release a bit to wait for it... the official
emacs release should probably be made with older final definitions, not
any beta ones.

* Re: Unicode 9.0
@ 2016-03-17  3:42         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-03-17  3:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David De La Harpe Golden; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: David De La Harpe Golden <david@harpegolden.net>
> Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 02:57:15 +0000
>
> This may well be something that was going without saying, but just in
> case / to be pernickety, there's a specific warning on the beta 9 page:
>
> http://unicode.org/versions/beta-9.0.0.html
> """
> No products or implementations should be released based on the beta UCD
> data files—use only the final, approved Version 9.0.0 data files,
> expected in June 2016.
> """
>
> It is also stated there they have already frozen the code point and
> character names, and to be honest I haven't even looked at what's new in
> 9 in any depth. In practice there may well not be any more changes
> before finalisation of 9, whether emacs-significant changes or otherwise.
>
> And I'm _not_ objecting to the recent update (a761fbf2) of the files to
> beta 9 in git for a shakedown during pretest, which I think was what Eli
> meant anyway, but that's still distinct from an emacs official versioned
> release tarball.
>
> I just mean (and this very probably won't even arise in the end): at
> some future time close to the emacs release, if for some reason unicode
> 9 still isn't officially final yet, and if for some reason you don't
> want to delay the emacs release a bit to wait for it... the official
> emacs release should probably be made with older final definitions, not
> any beta ones.

I don't see why we should refrain from using the beta files in the
release, if they don't release the official Unicode 9.0 by the time we
are ready.  No reason whatsoever.