* ps-print-buffer and emacs 26
@ 2017-04-29 17:18 George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2017-04-29 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

For what it is worth:

I noticed that ps-print-buffer doesn't work for me in emacs-26,
though it is fine in emacs-25.

(Actually, this has been true for at least a few weeks, but
e.g. it is true for a fairly recent compile of 26.0.50.)

Symptom:

start emacs (/usr/local/bin/emacs-26) via:

emacs-26 -Q

Then

C-u M-x ps-print-buffer <RET> ~/Desktop/foo.ps <RET>

yields a skeletal postscript file foo.ps with no content, no
matter the buffer content that should have been printed.

I diffed ....share/emacs/26.0.50/lisp/ps-print.el.gz

with ....share/emacs/25.2.50/lisp/ps-print.el.gz

and more-or-less the only difference was the

 -*- lexical-binding: t -*-

bit on the first line.

And indeed, after making a copy of ps-print.el.gz, I deleted this
"lexical-binding" setting, deleted the .elc file, restarted
emacs-26 and now ps-print-buffer seems to work as expected.

I fumbled around a bit, but couldn't really work out more
specifically what is breaking...

All the best,
gm

--
oOo George McNinch

* Re: ps-print-buffer and emacs 26
@ 2017-04-29 18:03 ` Noam Postavsky
From: Noam Postavsky @ 2017-04-29 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: George McNinch; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 1:18 PM, George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com> wrote:

> C-u M-x ps-print-buffer <RET> ~/Desktop/foo.ps <RET>
>
> yields a skeletal postscript file foo.ps with no content, no matter the
> buffer content that should have been printed.

Sounds like https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26600. It
should be fixed now, try deleting and recompiling ps-print.elc.

* Re: ps-print-buffer and emacs 26
@ 2017-04-29 18:50   ` George McNinch
From: George McNinch @ 2017-04-29 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Noam Postavsky; +Cc: Emacs developers

> On Sat, Apr 29, 2017 at 1:18 PM, George McNinch <gmcninch@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>  C-u M-x ps-print-buffer <RET> ~/Desktop/foo.ps <RET> yields a
>> skeletal postscript file foo.ps with no content, no matter the buffer
>> content that should have been printed.

> Sounds like https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=26600. It
> should be fixed now, try deleting and recompiling ps-print.elc.

Indeed, that fixed it. Sorry for the noise!

Best,
gm

--
oOo George McNinch