* problem in log-edit.el
@ 2004-10-13 15:50 J. David Boyd
From: J. David Boyd @ 2004-10-13 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I tried to commit a file today with C-x v v, and was told that the variable
log-edit-font-lock-keywords was unknown.

Looking at the file showed me that the variable was defined with 'defar'
rather than 'defvar'.

My question is, where, and how, do I look to see if this is a known problem?
There must be a newsgroup, web app, somewhere, that lists such as this...

Thanks,

Dave

* Re: problem in log-edit.el
@ 2004-10-13 21:38 ` Alexander Pohoyda
From: Alexander Pohoyda @ 2004-10-13 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

dave@adboyd.com (J. David Boyd) writes:

> I tried to commit a file today with C-x v v, and was told that the variable
> log-edit-font-lock-keywords was unknown.
>
> Looking at the file showed me that the variable was defined with 'defar'
> rather than 'defvar'.

That seems to be fixed in the CVS.

> My question is, where, and how, do I look to see if this is a known problem?
> There must be a newsgroup, web app, somewhere, that lists such as this...

Have a look here:
    http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/log-edit.el

and here:
    http://savannah.gnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/emacs/emacs/lisp/log-edit.el?rev=1.27&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

--
Alexander Pohoyda <alexander.pohoyda@gmx.net>
PGP Key fingerprint: 7F C9 CC 5A 75 CD 89 72  15 54 5F 62 20 23 C6 44

* Re: problem in log-edit.el
@ 2004-10-15  0:26   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-10-15  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: dave, emacs-devel

It is probably not worth checking whether a problem is already known.
The answer is almost always "no", if the problem still happens, since
we fix nearly all problems very soon.  If we don't fix the problem
soon, usually that is because we don't understand it, which means
another report might still help us fix it.

Cases where you really might as well not report the problem are so
rare that you may as well not spend the time to check.