* Re: [simon.marshall@bogus.example.com: mouse-autoselect-window ne eds a delay]
@ 2006-06-27  8:30 Marshall, Simon
From: Marshall, Simon @ 2006-06-27  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: 'Emacs Developers (emacs-devel@gnu.org)'

> I have focus-follows-mouse together with raise-on-focus in my window
> manager and mouse-autoselect-window in Emacs, with zero delay in both
> cases, and have never had a problem.

If you have split windows and the lower window selected, how do you move the
mouse from the lower window to the menu or tool bar without window selection
moving to the upper window?

(I can only achieve this by moving out of the Emacs frame and then into the
Emacs frame at the Emacs menu or tool bar.  And that is much easier if my WM
implements a delay for WM focus-follows-mouse, otherwise WM raise-on-focus
would cause any other window behind the Emacs frame to be raised above the
Emacs frame immediately!)

> Indeed, I love the current
> configuration.  It is much easier and more efficent for me than any
> alternative.

What alternative do you mean (other than not having
mouse-autoselect-window)?

Simon.

(I am not on the emacs-devel list, so please make any reply to me also.)

* Re: [simon.marshall@bogus.example.com: mouse-autoselect-window ne eds a delay]
@ 2006-06-28  9:11 Marshall, Simon
From: Marshall, Simon @ 2006-06-28  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: 'Emacs Developers (emacs-devel@gnu.org)'

>    If you have split windows and the lower window selected, how do you
move the
>    mouse from the lower window to the menu or tool bar without window
selection
>    moving to the upper window?

> [...]

> I just changed my lower window to contain a buffer with a very
> different purpose from the upper window.  That way is uses a very
> different library than the upper window and has different menus on the
> menu bar.  To get to the menu bar required moving the mouse cursor
> outside of Emacs.  I have never done that before.  (If I were to go to
> the menu bar in every day use, I would first `C-x 1'
> (delete-other-windows-quietly).  That action would be more efficient.)

I don't have a problem with you using Emacs how you want to.  But, as you
state, your usage of the menu bar is to test it not to use it per se.

OTOH, I use the menu bar if (a) I happen to be holding the mouse, (b) I
can't remember the key binding, or (c) there isn't a key binding.  My report
was pointing out a problem with mouse-autoselect-window when used with split
windows and the menu or tool bar.  Given that you don't use the menu or tool
bar, ...

Anyway, I would find it quite obscure and "inefficient" (to use your word)
to have to do C-x 1 in the window before I used the menu bar.  I would
rather Emacs not require my usage to be different for a command invoked via
a key vs via the menu or tool bar.  And the result of C-x 1 would be
different from what I had wanted.

> Moving the mouse cursor outside of Emacs rather than `C-x 1'
> (delete-other-windows-quietly) is clearly inefficent.  But then, so is
> any action with the menu bar since it means taking your fingers off
> the keyboard for an irrelevant reason.

I think this belongs to a different discussion, not in response to a bug
report!

>    (I can only achieve this by moving out of the Emacs frame and then into
the
>    Emacs frame at the Emacs menu or tool bar.  And that is much easier if
my WM
>    implements a delay for WM focus-follows-mouse, otherwise WM
raise-on-focus
>    would cause any other window behind the Emacs frame to be raised above
the
>    Emacs frame immediately!)

> That is true: if you take your hands off the keyboard, grab the mouse,
> move the mouse cursor over another Emacs window to a bar, and if you
> do not `C-x 1' (delete-other-windows-quietly), and you do not use
> auto-raise much elsewhere, then to keep your first window you need a
> delay.

> It seems very unlikely that anyone would act so inefficently once they
> learn to be efficient, but people are strange.  I see no reason not to
> permit such inefficiency, but the default should be `immediate
> auto-raise' and a presumption that the user is trying to use his or
> her life well.  Otherwise, the Emacs developers would be highly
> insulting.

Are you seriously suggesting that I am inefficient and/or strange?