* Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?
@ 2003-01-22  2:51 Alex Lancaster
From: Alex Lancaster @ 2003-01-22  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

It appears that the CVS notification messages for Jan's GTK-related
CVS check-ins aren't going to the emacs-commit list.

They're not coming through the GMANE mail-to-NNTP gateway, nor do they
appear in the archives on mail.gnu.org at:

http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-commit/2003-01/threads.html

They do appear in CVS (under username "jhd") and the log messages are
there in the viewcvs page.

Is there are reason his CVS commit messages aren't going through
(perhaps you need to be subscribed to the emacs-commit list for the
commit messages to go to the mailing list)?  To keep up with and test
the ongoing GTK it is important to get the CVS commit messages from
all commiters...

Alex

* Re: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?
@ 2003-01-23  8:00 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-23  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

I asked savannah-hackers@gnu.org to look at this.
In general, for any problem on Savannah, that is where
you should write.

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
       [not found] <E18bcI9-0007hg-00@fencepost.gnu.org>
@ 2003-01-23 12:00 ` Jaime E. Villate
From: Jaime E. Villate @ 2003-01-23 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: savannah-hackers

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 03:00:53AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Please take a look at this problem.

> To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Alex Lancaster <alexl@users.sourceforge.net>
> Date: 21 Jan 2003 18:51:02 -0800
> Subject: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?

> It appears that the CVS notification messages for Jan's GTK-related
> CVS check-ins aren't going to the emacs-commit list.
>
> They're not coming through the GMANE mail-to-NNTP gateway, nor do they
> appear in the archives on mail.gnu.org at:
>
> http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-commit/2003-01/threads.html
>
> They do appear in CVS (under username "jhd") and the log messages are
> there in the viewcvs page.
>
> Is there are reason his CVS commit messages aren't going through
> (perhaps you need to be subscribed to the emacs-commit list for the
> commit messages to go to the mailing list)?  To keep up with and test
> the ongoing GTK it is important to get the CVS commit messages from
> all commiters...

Hi Alex,
>From the point of view of Savannah, I can tell you that all commit messages
are sent, regardless of the author's address. I've looked at the CVS
history files and everything looks fine; the problem might be at mail.gnu.org
that receives the e-mail notifications and redistributes them to emacs-commit.
I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the new method used in mail.gnu.org to
distribute mail, so I cannot help you (Paul Fisher <rao@gnu.org> should be
able to help you).

What I can tell you is that there are three Emacs developers (lektu, kfstorm
and handa) whose commits may stop sending e-mail notifications at any time,
because they continue to use the old CVS repository, rather than the new one,
in spite of the warnings given when they commit to the old repository.

The old repository (/home/cvs/emacs or /cvs/emacs) is a symbolic link to the
new one (/cvsroot/emacs), so the files are committed in the same place, but
the CVSROOT files for both repositories are different and they have separate
history files. If the two CVSROOTs ever become out of sync, CVS
may start behaving differently for those 3 developers than for the rest.

Whenever the Emacs maintainers request it, we can remove the link from
/home/cvs/emacs to the new repository, to avoid problems and to keep a unique
history file. What will happen at that time is that users who continue to use
the old one will get an error message telling them the repository does not
exist, but they can find out where the new one is in Savannah's Emacs page.

Cheers,
Jaime

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-23 13:58   ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2003-01-23 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:00:46 +0000, "Jaime E. Villate" <villate@gnu.org> wrote:

> What I can tell you is that there are three Emacs developers (lektu, kfstorm
> and handa) whose commits may stop sending e-mail notifications at any time,
> because they continue to use the old CVS repository, rather than the new one,
> in spite of the warnings given when they commit to the old repository.

I don't get any warning when commiting, perhaps because I never do a cvs
commit directly, but through Emacs CVS support...

> The old repository (/home/cvs/emacs or /cvs/emacs) is a symbolic link to the
> new one (/cvsroot/emacs), so the files are committed in the same place, but
> the CVSROOT files for both repositories are different and they have separate
> history files. If the two CVSROOTs ever become out of sync, CVS
> may start behaving differently for those 3 developers than for the rest.

I would be glad to set up things properly on my side, if I knew how.
Moreover, if accesing the new repository involves using ssh things can
get rough (I'm on Windows). Any information/help is welcome.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-23 14:57     ` Jaime E. Villate
From: Jaime E. Villate @ 2003-01-23 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:58:08PM +0100, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> I don't get any warning when commiting, perhaps because I never do a cvs
> commit directly, but through Emacs CVS support...

I thought Emacs would open a mini-buffer to show you that warning message, but
you guys know Emacs better than I do.

> > The old repository (/home/cvs/emacs or /cvs/emacs) is a symbolic link to the
> > new one (/cvsroot/emacs), so the files are committed in the same place, but
> > the CVSROOT files for both repositories are different and they have separate
> > history files. If the two CVSROOTs ever become out of sync, CVS
> > may start behaving differently for those 3 developers than for the rest.
>
> I would be glad to set up things properly on my side, if I knew how.
> Moreover, if accesing the new repository involves using ssh things can
> get rough (I'm on Windows). Any information/help is welcome.

The new repository is accessed with exactly the same methods as the old
one. All you have to do is change /cvs (or /home/cvs) to /cvsroot in every
Root file in every CVS subdirectory.
If you worked in GNU/Linux I would tell you a one-line bash command to do that
automatically, but on proprietary systems I cannot help you.

Another thing you can do is create a fresh new copy of the repository
using lektu@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs as the root directory
(check out module emacs).

Saludos,
Jaime

* Re: [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-23 17:22     ` Mathieu Roy
From: Mathieu Roy @ 2003-01-23 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) said:

> "Jaime E. Villate" <villate@gnu.org> writes:
>

> > What I can tell you is that there are three Emacs developers (lektu, kfstorm
> > and handa) whose commits may stop sending e-mail notifications at any time,
> > because they continue to use the old CVS repository, rather than the new one,
> > in spite of the warnings given when they commit to the old repository.
>
> I'm that kfstorm, and would like to adapt to the new repository.
>
> So I tried this:
>
> cvs -d :pserver:kfstorm@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -d emacs emacs
>
> with a negative response:
>
> no such user kfstorm in CVSROOT/passwd
> cvs [checkout aborted]: authorization failed: server subversions.gnu.org rejected access
>
> So, following your instructions, I'm no longer able to work on emacs.
> Can you fix that?

Normally pserver is used for anonymous access.

With a usual ssh account, you just have to try something like
cvs -z3 -d kfstorm@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

With a kerberos account, it should be something like
cvs -z3 -d :gserver:kfstorm@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-23 18:06   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2003-01-23 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

@ 2003-01-23 18:22 ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-01-23 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

onsdagen den 22 januari 2003 kl 03.51 skrev Alex Lancaster:

> Hi,
>
> It appears that the CVS notification messages for Jan's GTK-related
> CVS check-ins aren't going to the emacs-commit list.

I filed a bug to savannah on this.  Something is not working.  Just looking
at the ChangeLog in src/ and compare it to emacs-commit archive shows
that emacs-commit is lacking entries for
2003-01-18  Stefan Monnier  <monnier@cs.yale.edu>
2003-01-15, 14 and 13  Francesco Potortì  <pot@gnu.org>
2003-01-13  Dave Love  <fx@gnu.org>
2003-01-13  Richard M. Stallman  <rms@gnu.org>
2003-01-10  Andreas Schwab  <schwab@suse.de>

and so on.

	Jan D.

* Re: [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-23 18:39       ` Jaime E . Villate
From: Jaime E . Villate @ 2003-01-23 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kim F. Storm

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 06:22:37PM +0100, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm) said:
>
> > I'm that kfstorm, and would like to adapt to the new repository.
> > So I tried this:
> >
> > cvs -d :pserver:kfstorm@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -d emacs emacs
> > with a negative response:
>
> Normally pserver is used for anonymous access.
>
> With a usual ssh account, you just have to try something like
> cvs -z3 -d kfstorm@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs
>
> With a kerberos account, it should be something like
> cvs -z3 -d :gserver:kfstorm@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

Yes, I'm sorry I said something that is not true; the new repository does not
have the same access methods of the old one, since pserver is now only allowed
for anonymous users (in which case there is no harm by sending passwords over
the Internet). Developers must use SSH to access the new CVS repository, as
Mathieu explained.

To configure your SSH access, please read:

http://savannah.gnu.org/faq/?group_id=11&question=How_do_I_configure_my_SSH_access.txt

Cheers,
Jaime

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-23 23:24     ` Kenichi Handa
From: Kenichi Handa @ 2003-01-23 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

In article <20030123145449.FEDF.LEKTU@terra.es>, Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> writes:

> On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 12:00:46 +0000, "Jaime E. Villate" <villate@gnu.org> wrote:
>>  What I can tell you is that there are three Emacs
>>  developers (lektu, kfstorm and handa) whose commits may
>>  stop sending e-mail notifications at any time, because
>>  they continue to use the old CVS repository, rather than
>>  the new one, in spite of the warnings given when they
>>  commit to the old repository.

> I don't get any warning when commiting, perhaps because I
> never do a cvs commit directly, but through Emacs CVS
> support...

I don't see any warning neither.  I'm also using Emacs CVS
support.

>>  The old repository (/home/cvs/emacs or /cvs/emacs) is a
>>  symbolic link to the new one (/cvsroot/emacs), so the
>>  files are committed in the same place, but the CVSROOT
>>  files for both repositories are different and they have
>>  separate history files. If the two CVSROOTs ever become
>>  out of sync, CVS may start behaving differently for
>>  those 3 developers than for the rest.

I've just checked out emacs as this:
% cvs -d :ext:handa@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -d emacs-head emacs

From now on, I'll commit from this working directory
"emacs-head".  Is that the right way?

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
handa@m17n.org

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-24  1:26       ` Jaime E . Villate
From: Jaime E . Villate @ 2003-01-24  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 08:24:20AM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:

> I've just checked out emacs as this:
> % cvs -d :ext:handa@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -d emacs-head emacs
>
> >From now on, I'll commit from this working directory
> "emacs-head".  Is that the right way?

Yes, that's perfect. Thanks.
Jaime

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-24 10:50     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2003-01-24 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 14:58:08 +0100, Juanma Barranquero <lektu@terra.es> wrote:

> I would be glad to set up things properly on my side, if I knew how.
> Moreover, if accesing the new repository involves using ssh things can
> get rough (I'm on Windows). Any information/help is welcome.

FWIW, I've been able to make it work on Windows 2K using Cygwin's ssh
tools (http://www.cygwin.com) and either Cygwin's CVS or Tony Hoyle's
CVSNT (http://www.cvsnt.com), which is also free and adds quite a lot of
functionality.

                                                           /L/e/k/t/u

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-24 13:12         ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2003-01-24 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kenichi Handa

"Jaime E . Villate" <villate@gnu.org> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 08:24:20AM +0900, Kenichi Handa wrote:
> >
> > I've just checked out emacs as this:
> > % cvs -d :ext:handa@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -d emacs-head emacs
> >
> > >From now on, I'll commit from this working directory
> > "emacs-head".  Is that the right way?
>
> Yes, that's perfect. Thanks.
> Jaime

Works for me (kfstorm) too.

So it seems all emacs developers have moved to using ssh now, so write access
to the old repository isn't needed anymore.

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-24 17:15   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-24 17:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    >From the point of view of Savannah, I can tell you that all
    commit messages are sent, regardless of the author's address. I've
    looked at the CVS history files and everything looks fine; the
    problem might be at mail.gnu.org that receives the e-mail
    notifications and redistributes them to emacs-commit.

Do you have any way to verify that this particular commit message was
actually sent?

    I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the new method used in mail.gnu.org to
    distribute mail, so I cannot help you (Paul Fisher <rao@gnu.org> should be
    able to help you).

If you think the problem is there, please report it to sysadmin@gnu.org
and send all the pertinent details.

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-24 18:54           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-01-24 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: 24 Jan 2003 14:12:35 +0100
>
> So it seems all emacs developers have moved to using ssh now, so write access
> to the old repository isn't needed anymore.

I don't use CVS/ssh, and cannot easily do so.  If the old repository
is eliminated, I will have no way to check in changes, not even by
logging into gnu.org machines (since my login there is effectively
disabled by the requirement to install SSHv2 clients).

However, since lately I seldom check in anything, I'm not sure you
should keep the old repository just for my sake.

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-24 21:44             ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2003-01-24 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> writes:

> > From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
> > Date: 24 Jan 2003 14:12:35 +0100
> >
> > So it seems all emacs developers have moved to using ssh now, so write access
> > to the old repository isn't needed anymore.
>
> I don't use CVS/ssh, and cannot easily do so.  If the old repository
> is eliminated, I will have no way to check in changes, not even by
> logging into gnu.org machines (since my login there is effectively
> disabled by the requirement to install SSHv2 clients).

CVS access uses ssh v1.

> However, since lately I seldom check in anything, I'm not sure you
> should keep the old repository just for my sake.

Sorry I jumped to conclusions...  but as I understand the message from
Jaime, it is only a question of time before the :pserver: write access
is disabled...

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-01-25 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
> Date: 24 Jan 2003 22:44:49 +0100
>
> > I don't use CVS/ssh, and cannot easily do so.  If the old repository
> > is eliminated, I will have no way to check in changes, not even by
> > logging into gnu.org machines (since my login there is effectively
> > disabled by the requirement to install SSHv2 clients).
> >

> CVS access uses ssh v1.

Yes, I know that.  What I meant to say is that my home machine runs
Windows, where I have a CVS port installed that doesn't support SSH at
all.  That port is well configured and set up, and served me well for
2 years; I'm accustomed to it, including a couple of Windows-related
quirks.  Given the total lack of free time, I cannot afford installing
and configuring another port, even if it's not the Cygwin port (the
latter would mean I also need to install gobs of related and
semi-related packages I don't really need, which will interfere with
my system setup that is not based on Cygwin).

Installing a free OS is also impractical, for the same reasons: I
simply don't have enough time to become a full-time system manager for
an OS of which my current knowledge level is at best that of a
sophisticated user.

I do have a working SSHv1 setup on my home machine that supports
telnet and scp, so I could remedy the problem with CVS by logging into
gnu.org and committing changes from there.  However, that approach,
too, was closed to me when gnu.org went to SSHv2.  Moving to SSHv2 on
my home machine would again require installing, configuring, and
learning to use packages for which I don't have time.

> > However, since lately I seldom check in anything, I'm not sure you
> > should keep the old repository just for my sake.
>
> Sorry I jumped to conclusions...  but as I understand the message from
> Jaime, it is only a question of time before the :pserver: write access
> is disabled...

Yes, I knew that for some time now.  That's why I'm not sure my
problems are important enough for you to avoid doing that now.

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-01-25 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:08:50 -0500
> From: Rudy Gevaert <rudy@gnu.org>
>
> But I do not know if putty is suitable for you.  Putty is an excellent
> ssh client for under Windows.

Thanks.

Yes, I know about PuTTY.  I even downloaded it months ago with the
intent to install and try using it.  However, I didn't have time since
then to actually install it, configure it for my needs, and read the
docs (I need to read the docs to understand how do I generate the
public key that gnu.or sysadmins require).

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-25 18:08                 ` Rudy Gevaert
From: Rudy Gevaert @ 2003-01-25 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 07:56:07PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I do have a working SSHv1 setup on my home machine that supports
> telnet and scp, so I could remedy the problem with CVS by logging into
> gnu.org and committing changes from there.  However, that approach,
> too, was closed to me when gnu.org went to SSHv2.  Moving to SSHv2 on
> my home machine would again require installing, configuring, and
> learning to use packages for which I don't have time.

Putty uses ssh2:
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/faq.html#A.1.1
A.1.1 Does PuTTY support SSH v2?

Yes. SSH v2 support has been available in PuTTY since version
0.50. However, currently the default SSH protocol is v1; to select SSH
v2 if your server supports both, go to the SSH panel and change the
Preferred SSH protocol version option. (The factory default will
change to v2 in the next full release.)

But I do not know if putty is suitable for you.  Putty is an excellent
ssh client for under Windows.

And it is free software.

Rudy

* Re: [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-25 18:16                 ` Mathieu Roy
From: Mathieu Roy @ 2003-01-25 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@is.elta.co.il> said:

> > From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
> > Date: 24 Jan 2003 22:44:49 +0100
> >
> > > I don't use CVS/ssh, and cannot easily do so.  If the old repository
> > > is eliminated, I will have no way to check in changes, not even by
> > > logging into gnu.org machines (since my login there is effectively
> > > disabled by the requirement to install SSHv2 clients).
> > >

> > CVS access uses ssh v1.
>
> Yes, I know that.  What I meant to say is that my home machine runs
> Windows, where I have a CVS port installed that doesn't support SSH at
> all.  That port is well configured and set up, and served me well for
> 2 years; I'm accustomed to it, including a couple of Windows-related
> quirks.  Given the total lack of free time, I cannot afford installing
> and configuring another port, even if it's not the Cygwin port (the
> latter would mean I also need to install gobs of related and
> semi-related packages I don't really need, which will interfere with
> my system setup that is not based on Cygwin).
>
> Installing a free OS is also impractical, for the same reasons: I
> simply don't have enough time to become a full-time system manager for
> an OS of which my current knowledge level is at best that of a
> sophisticated user.

Hum, we're pretty of topic, but running a recent Mandrake (for
instance) does not require a high level of knowledge ;-)

Regards,

--
Mathieu Roy

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-25 18:28                     ` Rudy Gevaert
From: Rudy Gevaert @ 2003-01-25 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:19:40PM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 13:08:50 -0500
> > From: Rudy Gevaert <rudy@gnu.org>
> >
> > But I do not know if putty is suitable for you.  Putty is an excellent
> > ssh client for under Windows.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Yes, I know about PuTTY.  I even downloaded it months ago with the
> intent to install and try using it.  However, I didn't have time since
> then to actually install it, configure it for my needs, and read the
> docs (I need to read the docs to understand how do I generate the
> public key that gnu.or sysadmins require).

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.53b/htmldoc/Chapter8.html#8

Rudy

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-25 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: handa

    So it seems all emacs developers have moved to using ssh now, so write access
    to the old repository isn't needed anymore.

I am still using lsh, because it is a GNU package.  Can you suppor
lsh with the new repository?

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-26  5:46                       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-01-26  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Rudy Gevaert wrote:

> http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/0.53b/htmldoc/Chapter8.html#8

Thanks.  Yes, this is the docs I need to study.

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-26 15:37             ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-26 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm

I use the old repository; it needs to be kept.

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-27 10:29               ` Jaime E. Villate
From: Jaime E. Villate @ 2003-01-27 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm

On Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 10:37:30AM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
> I use the old repository; it needs to be kept.

According to the CVS history files, you've been using the new repository for
quite some time. For example, here is a piece of the new repository's log for
last Saturday:

M3e32e6b7|rms|<remote>|emacs/lisp|1.51|arc-mode.el
M3e32e897|rms|<remote>|emacs/lisp|1.26|ido.el
M3e32e8e1|rms|<remote>|emacs/lisp|1.66|view.el
M3e32e918|rms|<remote>|emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp|2.121|bytecomp.el
M3e32e94c|rms|<remote>|emacs/lispref|1.41|keymaps.texi
M3e32e967|rms|<remote>|emacs/lisp|1.4772|ChangeLog
M3e32e983|rms|<remote>|emacs/lispref|1.61|ChangeLog
M3e32e9b6|rms|<remote>|emacs/src|1.39|doprnt.c

Please look at some file CVS/Root in your CVS local snapshot. You will see
that it has something such as:

rms@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs

It you were using the old repository, it would say "/cvs/" or "/home/cvs"
instead of "/cvsroot/"

Regards,
Jaime

* Re: [Savannah-hackers] [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
@ 2003-01-29  0:04                 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-01-29  0:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm

    According to the CVS history files, you've been using the new repository for
    quite some time. For example, here is a piece of the new repository's log for
    last Saturday:

Ok, I guess I am using the new repository.

Strange, I seem to recall that at one point lsh needed the old one.
If no method of access really needs the old repository, we can
all switch now.

* Re: [alexl@users.sourceforge.net: Jan's Gtk CVS notifications...?]
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-03-12 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: storm

> From: Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org>
> Date: 25 Jan 2003 19:16:31 +0100
> >
> > Installing a free OS is also impractical, for the same reasons: I
> > simply don't have enough time to become a full-time system manager for
> > an OS of which my current knowledge level is at best that of a
> > sophisticated user.
>
> Hum, we're pretty of topic

Right.

> but running a recent Mandrake (for
> instance) does not require a high level of knowledge ;-)

"High" is a relative term.  Running any non-trivial OS, even
Windows9X, requires a non-trivial level of knowledge about the
intricacies of setting up that system.