On Friday, December 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Jan Djärv wrote: > Hello. > > 20 dec 2013 kl. 19:13 skrev Eli Zaretskii : > > > > From: Steve Purcell > > > Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2013 18:04:46 +0000 > > > Cc: emacs-devel > > > > > > On 20 Dec 2013, at 17:41, Bozhidar Batsov wrote: > > > > > > > Some time ago Steve Purcell reported an issue with hex colour rendering on OS X (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2011-05/msg00077.html). While nothing was changed in Emacs, many OS X users apply a patch similar to this one https://gist.github.com/purcell/3858136 (an older version of the patch is used by homebrew) to get the desired behaviour. I wonder if we cannot finally include the aforementioned patch or conditionnaly allow the use sRGB colour via a build option (like —with-srgb). > > > > > > > > > That would be great, and I’d be happy to do whatever is necessary to help this become a reality, e.g. contributor agreements etc. > > > > The patch is just 4 lines, so it doesn't need any legal paperwork. > > > > > My understanding is that everyone who cares about colour accuracy on OS X builds his Emacs with an sRGB patch of some sort. > > Your understanding is not fact. > > > > As for making this a build option, I don’t even think the non-sRGB colours should be an option on OS X, though I can’t speak for the whole NS platform. > > It must be an option. The patch uses colorWithSRGBRed, which isn't availiable on OSX < 10.7. An option will do. Or maybe this could be automatically enabled for anyone using OS X 10.7+ (which would be the vast majority of OS X users). I can’t think of a reason why someone who could use the sRGB colours would opt not to do so. > sRGBColorSpace isn't available on OSX 10.4, which Emacs still supports. > Are you proposing ditching earlier OSX versions than 10.7? > > This is obviously not on the table since 10.5 was the last version to support PowerPC and I guess some people are still using Power Macs. > Jan D. > >