Hello! Terminal.app is a complicated application and clearly not finished (with ls in Terminal I can't see UTF-8 file names correctly, only a??o??u????U??O??A?????, doing it in Emacs' shell I see a\314?o\314?u\314?\303?U\314?O\314?A\314?\342?\254 and in dired as the correct string äöüßÜÖÄ€ as in Finder too). Maybe we should try to adjust our settings. I have in Terminal's «Window Preferences» in *Emulation* set Option+Click to position cursor in command line (non-ASCII -> Esc is not active/checked) in *Monitor* set Lucida Sans Typewriter Regular (a font from the Java Runtime Environment) anti-aliasing Copy&Paste with moving/dragging UTF-8 encoding in *Keyboard* /not/ set alt/Option/⌥ as Meta//Command/⌘ Am 24.03.2005 um 18:17 schrieb Stefan: >> TERM_PROGRAM=Apple_Terminal >> TERM_PROGRAM_VERSION=100.1.4 > > Now, the next problem is keyboard input: my meta key doesn't work in > Terminal.app That is true for GNU Emacs as X11 client, running in xterm, or running in Terminal. Only Carbon Emacs understand Cmd-x/Apple-x/⌘-x as M-x. > and neither do accented chars. Looking at C-h l I see that the > byte sequence that Emacs receives is odd. E.g. for "M-x" Emacs > receives (I > use the "meta-is-bit7" convention): > > C-v \342 C-v \211 C-v \210 > > Assuming the C-v was meant to be some kind of quoting char (as it is in > several Unix tools where it plays the same role as Emacs's C-q), we > could > think of it as "\342 \211 \210", which is a valid utf-8 sequence for > "≈". > After trying to insert some accented chars, it seems that indeed the > input > is a kind of "utf-8 interleaved with C-v" and my meta key sends > non-ASCII > chars instead of something like an ESC prefix. Does anybody know what > this > C-v stuff is about? I actually don't know what Terminal or Apple or both are trying with this and what it's good for (maybe it's necessary for vi/vim), but with the above mentioned settings I can directly input with my German keyboard these seven umlauts and some more with Character Palette utility and Emacs itself writes the month of March as "März" as I set it in calendar-month-name-array and in calendar-month-abbrev-array: