From: "Berndl, Klaus" <klaus.berndl@capgemini-sdm.com>
To: Miles Bader <miles@gnu.org>
Cc: Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com>,
	Emacs <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,
	Angelo Graziosi <angelo.graziosi@alice.it>
Subject: AW: AW: AW: Tabs in Emacs?
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:19:01 +0100	[thread overview]

Well - "argh" is well spoken ;-)

Another suggestion, or precisely a refined suggestion:

1. Introducing new commands which represents your scenario where opening a new buffer opens a new tab (e.g. find-file-other-tab, switch-to-buffer-other-tab, adapting display-buffer in an appropriate manner etc...) Optionally we could also introduce some new defcustoms which can define a default-behavior: e.g. using the standard window-related commands (e.g. find-file-other-window) automatically opens/uses other tabs ...

2. But in general tabs represent window-configs and leaving a tab X stores ist window-config in a suitable way so it can be restored when entering again tab X - all this has to be happen automatically! Often the window-config will only contain one window...

So when a user wants the tab=buffer relation, he has it - he just has to use Emacs in way so opening buffers and switching to buffers operates on tabs (see 1) - but the whole stuff is much more powerful for scenarios where a tab contains a full window-config. The latter one is similar to something like escreen.el and winring.el and could be usefol for running in one tab ECB, in another Gnus, in another GUD - like eclipse...

Thoughts?