* Font issues on Mac OS X using X11
@ 2008-09-11 16:33 Bob
From: Bob @ 2008-09-11 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I have a few issues using cvs emacs on Mac OS X 10.5.4 under X11.  I've
compiled using --with-x-toolkit=gtk but I notice the problem even when I do
not use gtk so I don't think that is the problem.  I like the anti-aliased
fonts and would prefer to use Monaco or Monospace.  The issues:

1. Using Mocaco the font is not fixed width so it is basically unusable for
programming.  I noticed that if I change the DPI setting when starting up
X11 the relative sizes of different characters change.  On the plus side,
issue 2 is not present for Monaco (i.e., bold fonts look good).

2. Using Monospace (presently my preferred font) I get fixed width
characters but the bold and italic fonts are very pixelated (e.g., in the
mode-line for the file name).  I wonder if issue 3 is somehow related to
this.

3. If I choose the "Set default font" option a (gnome style) dialog comes up
to pick a new font, the font that is initially selected in this dialog is
not always the font that I am using.  If I am using "Monospace" then the
next time the font dialog is open "Sans" will be initially selected (but if
I then select "Sans" it will change the font).  If I use "Monaco" or "Andale
Mono" then the selection sticks.  This seems very strange.

Thanks,
Bob