From: Vicente Hernando Ara <bizenton@gmail.com>
To: Ken Hori <fplemma@gmail.com>
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Showing network speed in emacs mode line.
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 2010 01:31:32 +0100	[thread overview]

Hi Ken,

this elisp program parses /proc/net/dev file searching for the line
containing the interface you selected. Then it gets first and ninth
numbers (for received and transmitted bytes) and performs a
subtraction and a division to calculate speed)

I would check that /proc/net/dev file to know if it changes adequately
when you are online.

I this gives us no clue I would add a (message "hello") to
network-speed-update-handler and network-speed-get-rx-tx-bytes
functions. network-speed-update-handler is the function called every
network-speed-update-interval seconds and
network-speed-get-rx-tx-bytes parses the file and store values in a
list of vectors.