Hi to all the emacs community! I have written an elisp file(attached to this mail) that shows network speed in emacs mode line. Just to make it work: M-x load-file RET /path/to/network-speed.el M-x network-speed-start and to stop it showing in the mode line M-x network-speed-stop There are several customizable variables. e.g in my .emacs file : (custom-set-variables .... '(network-speed-update-interval 2) ; Shows network speed every 2 seconds. '(network-speed-interface-list (list "ppp0" "eth0"))) ; Network interfaces to be shown in mode line. '(network-speed-precision 1) ; Number of digits to be shown after decimal point. '(network-speed-format-string " [%NI %AX %AB] ") ; or i.e: "[%NI rx:%RX tx:%TX]" '(network-speed-interface-list (list "ppp0" "eth0")) ; Network interfaces to be shown in mode line. network-speed-format-string can be customized to show: %NI : network interface name %RB: received bytes %TB: transmitted bytes %AB: all received + transmitted bytes. %RX: received byte speed. %TX: transmitted byte speed. %AX: total byte speed. %%%: escape secuence for % character. I hope you test it and enjoy! Any constructive criticism is welcomed. I also would be glad about signing FSF papers for this file if it is considered worthy. Kind regards, Vicente.