* Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
@ 2008-02-02 14:00 Yoni Rabkin
From: Yoni Rabkin @ 2008-02-02 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I'm seeing strange recenter-top-bottom (C-l) behaviour in CVS
Emacs. Here is how I can recreate this on my machine.

1. I ran: emacs-23.0.60 -q

   Which is: GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
             scroll bars) of 2008-02-02

2. Load the text of GPLv3 in Text mode (for example, but this happens in
   other modes as well).

3. Move point to down to line 40.

4. Enter <C-l>. As a result line 40 goes to the center of the screen
   (%3), and so far so good.

5. Enter <C-l> a second time. As a result line 40 goes to the very top
   of the screen (%6).

6. Enter <C-l> a third time. As a result line 40 goes to the near the
   bottom of the screen (top of the buffer in view).

7. Enter <C-l> a forth time. The results are as if you are back at step
   (4).

An instance of Emacs 22 I have around behaves normally (every subsequent
C-l stays in place, like step (4)).

* Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
@ 2008-02-02 14:13 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2008-02-02 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

Hi Yoni,

> I'm seeing strange recenter-top-bottom (C-l) behaviour in CVS Emacs.

This is a feature.  (I really like it.)

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
@ 2008-02-02 14:15 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-02-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoni Rabkin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> I'm seeing strange recenter-top-bottom (C-l) behaviour in CVS
> Emacs. Here is how I can recreate this on my machine.

As you might guess from the name of the function, the behavior you
describe is intentional.

See this:

  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/82667/focus=83206

So whole thread is worth reading it, so that you can see if your
concerns with this new behavior matches some of the ones already
expressed here.

--
Bastien

* Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
@ 2008-02-02 14:21   ` Yoni Rabkin
From: Yoni Rabkin @ 2008-02-02 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:
>
> Hi Yoni,
>
>> I'm seeing strange recenter-top-bottom (C-l) behaviour in CVS Emacs.
>
> This is a feature.  (I really like it.)

I think it's horrible beyond words, when I want that kind of behaviour
I'll use M-x zone, but as that thread I've been pointed to and your
comment shows, I'm in the minority.

Thanks for the info though. I guess I'll just "fix" this locally.

* Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
@ 2008-02-02 15:07     ` Bastien Guerry
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-02 15:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Yoni Rabkin <yoni@rabkins.net> writes:

> I think it's horrible beyond words, when I want that kind of behaviour
> I'll use M-x zone, but as that thread I've been pointed to and your
> comment shows, I'm in the minority.

You've certainly read my doubts about this new feature.
I think the current behavior needs more feedback from more people.

--
Bastien

* Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
@ 2008-02-02 20:32 ` Paul Michael Reilly
From: Paul Michael Reilly @ 2008-02-02 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoni Rabkin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yoni Rabkin wrote:
> I'm seeing strange recenter-top-bottom (C-l) behaviour in CVS
> Emacs. Here is how I can recreate this on my machine.
>
> 1. I ran: emacs-23.0.60 -q
>
>    Which is: GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
>              scroll bars) of 2008-02-02
>
> 2. Load the text of GPLv3 in Text mode (for example, but this happens in
>    other modes as well).
>
> 3. Move point to down to line 40.
>
> 4. Enter <C-l>. As a result line 40 goes to the center of the screen
>    (%3), and so far so good.
>
> 5. Enter <C-l> a second time. As a result line 40 goes to the very top
>    of the screen (%6).
>
> 6. Enter <C-l> a third time. As a result line 40 goes to the near the
>    bottom of the screen (top of the buffer in view).
>
> 7. Enter <C-l> a forth time. The results are as if you are back at step
>    (4).
>
> An instance of Emacs 22 I have around behaves normally (every subsequent
> C-l stays in place, like step (4)).

Damn that's nice!  Sometimes it is so hard to keep track of all the new
features that get added to the code base.  This one in particular
slipped by my notice but now that I see what it is, my opinion is that
it is very helpful feature.  I think thanks are due to Drew Adams(?) for
adding it.

-pmr

* Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
@ 2008-02-02 21:41     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-02-02 21:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yoni Rabkin; +Cc: emacs-devel

Yoni Rabkin wrote:

> I think it's horrible beyond words, when I want that kind of behaviour
> I'll use M-x zone,

+1

It makes me feel seasick. Now to find a way to turn this rubbish off...

* Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
@ 2008-02-02 21:52       ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-02-02 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Yoni Rabkin, emacs-devel

() Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org>
() Sat, 02 Feb 2008 16:41:46 -0500

   Yoni Rabkin wrote:

   > I think it's horrible beyond words, when I want that kind of
   > behaviour I'll use M-x zone,

   +1

   It makes me feel seasick. Now to find a way to turn this rubbish off...

Well, that's new.

I used to use M-x zone for enjoying alternative mindset.  Then i
used it for testing (private, work in progress) `current-column'
hacking.  Then i used it after M-x view-hello-file to morose on the
(poor) state of `current-column' hacking.

Now i see it has other applications, a good sign surely?  In any
case, it's comforting to know that true C2HO5 (plus/or true viaggio
sul mare) still holds the crown wrt seasickness...

[Insert Ralph Steadman etching, here.]

thi

* Re: Strange recenter-top-bottom behaviour in CVS
@ 2008-02-02 22:02         ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2008-02-02 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: Yoni Rabkin, emacs-devel

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:

>    It makes me feel seasick. Now to find a way to turn this rubbish off...
>
> Well, that's new.
>
> I used to use M-x zone for enjoying alternative mindset.

I meant recenter-top-bottom makes me seasick, in case that wasn't clear. :)