Hi Eli, Am 02.11.23 um 06:55 schrieb Eli Zaretskii: >> Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2023 21:09:48 +0100 >> Cc: visuweshm@gmail.com, emacs-devel@gnu.org >> From: Harald Judt >> >> Thanks for the numbers. What troubles me a bit more than the speed is which >> effects inserting such a large file into a buffer has memory-wise? > > It is IMO okay to fail when sha256sum is not available and a file is > larger than the available VM, so Emacs runs out of memory, if this is > the situation that worries you. But these cases should be relatively > rare, and so there's no reason to fail to have this feature in the > much more frequent case that the files are not as large as the > available VM. > > If the file can be read by Emacs, even if it's large, then killing the > buffer after computing the hash should not have any adverse effects on > memory usage of that Emacs session. I have started to implement the fallback to internal functions, here are my results - it does even have size-limiting to avoid getting Emacs killed, which I managed to do trying with a big 4 GiB ISO file: https://codeberg.org/hjudt/dired-duplicates/compare/main...fallback-to-internal-checksumming Eli, is that how you imagined it? I would be glad if someone could give it a quick review. BTW: My project does not build in ELPA (I have sent a mail about this earlier). Best regards, Harald -- `Experience is the best teacher.' PGP Key ID: 4FFFAB21B8580ABD Fingerprint: E073 6DD8 FF40 9CF2 0665 11D4 4FFF AB21 B858 0ABD