* gl_MANYWARN_ALL_GCC() leads to many spurious warnings
@ 2012-07-06 21:17 Samuel Bronson
From: Samuel Bronson @ 2012-07-06 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

It seems that gl_MANYWARN_ALL_GCC is intended to enable (virtually)
all warnings implemented by GCC, no matter how noisy or badly tested
they are in whatever GCC version is in use.

The result is that, even after we explicitly disable dozens of them
again, we still generally get a lot of spurious warnings when building
with --enable-gcc-warnings.   Furthermore, since that option also
enables -Werror, Emacs generally does not build at all in this
configuration (unless you monkey around with WERROR_CFLAGS).

Why not simply use "-W -Wall -Wextra" and perhaps a few others, plus a
few overrides to turn off the warnings those enable that aren't useful
with Emacs?  That way, we'd only get warnings that had been reasonably
well tested.