That only checks for tramp/similar file handling. I don't think we can check for the underlying file system in an OS-independent fashion (gvfs, mounts ... are all ways of making remote files look like regular files). Maybe a solution would be to provide an option to automatically refresh, with a regexp list of files to ignore ? (which could be set to e.g. ("^/media/cdrom", ".gvfs")) 2008/9/1 Lennart Borgman (gmail) > Antoine Levitt wrote: > > anyway). Is there a reliable way to know if accessing a file is fast and > > side-effects free ? If there is, dired could hook to > > > file-remote-p >