* List to announce project status (feature freeze, etc...)
@ 2014-01-03 10:08 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2014-01-03 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel, EMACS info list

Should that be info-gnu-emacs that infrequent contributers should look
at before any commit to know whether the trunk branch is in feature
freeze ?

   Vincent.

* Re: List to announce project status (feature freeze, etc...)
@ 2014-01-03 16:36 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2014-01-03 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: emacs-devel

Vincent Belaïche wrote:

> Should that be info-gnu-emacs that infrequent contributers should look
> at before any commit to know whether the trunk branch is in feature
> freeze ?

IMO, no.
That list is for official announcements that all _users_ of Emacs might
want to read. This is a vastly larger population than the developer
population, so they should not be bothered with irrelevant (to them)
announcements.

In any case, please do not cc info-gnu-emacs on discussion topics like
this. (Cc: adjusted.)

* Re: List to announce project status (feature freeze, etc...)
@ 2014-01-03 20:06   ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-01-03 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Vincent Belaïche, emacs-devel

> That list is for official announcements that all _users_ of Emacs might
> want to read. This is a vastly larger population than the developer
> population, so they should not be bothered with irrelevant (to them)
> announcements.

OTOH this is a very low bandwidth list, and many users would probably be
happy to hear more often about the progress of Emacs development.
So, while it would triple the bandwidth (instead of one message per
release, we'd have 3: "freeze", "unfreeze", and "release"), Emacs users
may actually enjoy knowing a bit more about the development status of
the next release.

* RE: List to announce project status (feature freeze, etc...)
@ 2014-01-03 20:10   ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2014-01-03 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: emacs-devel

Ooops...

Maybe the project status of the trunk branch could be in some README file along with the source, or in the EMACS wiki page (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs) that is pointed to by the project page on Savanna, or, even simpler, right away on the savannah gnu project home page (http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/emacs).

  Vincent.