* Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-05-02 19:57 kristofer
From: kristofer @ 2024-05-02 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Greetings Emacs maintainers.

I noticed in the last update to the Elpa package; cobol-mode.el, that is now orphaned and that you are looking for someone to step up and maintain it.

I would be willing to take over that role if you would let me. I work with COBOL (IBM Enterprise COBOL) in my in daily work and use Emacs
together with cobol-mode.el to do it. My emacs-lisp skills are mediocre at best but I will do my best to fix bugs and keep it working. But my ambition is to work on the missing features listed in the package, update it to include changes in the COBOL standards, improve the indentation and maybe in the future work on a tree-sitter implementation.

I do have very little knowledge about how a Elpa package like this is usually developed and how the commit process works so any information and tips are welcomed.

I have recently signed and sent in my FSF papers.

Best Regards
Kristofer Hjelmtorp

* Re: Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-05-03  5:42 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-05-03  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kristofer; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

kristofer@hjelmtorp.se writes:

> Greetings Emacs maintainers.
>
> I noticed in the last update to the Elpa package; cobol-mode.el, that is now orphaned and that you are looking for someone to step up and maintain it.
>
> I would be willing to take over that role if you would let me. I work with COBOL (IBM Enterprise COBOL) in my in daily work and use Emacs
> together with cobol-mode.el to do it. My emacs-lisp skills are
> mediocre at best but I will do my best to fix bugs and keep it
> working. But my ambition is to work on the missing features listed in
> the package, update it to include changes in the COBOL standards,
> improve the indentation and maybe in the future work on a tree-sitter
> implementation.

That sounds great!

> I do have very little knowledge about how a Elpa package like this is
> usually developed and how the commit process works so any information
> and tips are welcomed.

Currently the repository is part of elpa.git itself, but if someone else
were to take over maintenance, we could switch it to mirroring some
external repository that you would create.  You can use any Git forge
you like (I'd personally recommend Codeberg or Sourcehut).

Any changes you push to that repository will automatically be
synchronised upstream.  To release a new package, you just have to bump
the ";; Version: ..." header at the top of the file.

How does that sound like to you?

--
	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine

* Re: Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-05-03  6:15 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-05-03  6:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kristofer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 21:57:23 +0200 (CEST)
> From: kristofer@hjelmtorp.se
>
> Greetings Emacs maintainers.
>
> I noticed in the last update to the Elpa package; cobol-mode.el, that is now orphaned and that you are looking for someone to step up and maintain it.
>
> I would be willing to take over that role if you would let me. I work with COBOL (IBM Enterprise COBOL) in my in daily work and use Emacs
> together with cobol-mode.el to do it. My emacs-lisp skills are mediocre at best but I will do my best to fix bugs and keep it working. But my ambition is to work on the missing features listed in the package, update it to include changes in the COBOL standards, improve the indentation and maybe in the future work on a tree-sitter implementation.

Thank you for volunteering.

> I do have very little knowledge about how a Elpa package like this is usually developed and how the commit process works so any information and tips are welcomed.
>
> I have recently signed and sent in my FSF papers.

Thanks.  Please tell us when you have your legal paperwork completed.

(I'll leave it to others to fill you in about ELPA practices.)

* Re: Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-05-05 10:24   ` kristofer
From: kristofer @ 2024-05-05 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On 05/03/2024 8:15 AM CEST Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>

> > Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 21:57:23 +0200 (CEST)
> > From: kristofer@hjelmtorp.se
> >
> > Greetings Emacs maintainers.
> >
> > I noticed in the last update to the Elpa package; cobol-mode.el, that is now orphaned and that you are looking for someone to step up and maintain it.
> >
> > I would be willing to take over that role if you would let me. I work with COBOL (IBM Enterprise COBOL) in my in daily work and use Emacs
> > together with cobol-mode.el to do it. My emacs-lisp skills are mediocre at best but I will do my best to fix bugs and keep it working. But my ambition is to work on the missing features listed in the package, update it to include changes in the COBOL standards, improve the indentation and maybe in the future work on a tree-sitter implementation.
>
> Thank you for volunteering.
>
> > I do have very little knowledge about how a Elpa package like this is usually developed and how the commit process works so any information and tips are welcomed.
> >
> > I have recently signed and sent in my FSF papers.
>
> Thanks.  Please tell us when you have your legal paperwork completed.
>
> (I'll leave it to others to fill you in about ELPA practices.)

I will let you know when I have gotten confirmation from FSF that they have signed it.

* Re: Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-05-05 10:27   ` kristofer
From: kristofer @ 2024-05-05 10:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> On 05/03/2024 7:42 AM CEST Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
>

> kristofer@hjelmtorp.se writes:
>
> > Greetings Emacs maintainers.
> >
> > I noticed in the last update to the Elpa package; cobol-mode.el, that is now orphaned and that you are looking for someone to step up and maintain it.
> >
> > I would be willing to take over that role if you would let me. I work with COBOL (IBM Enterprise COBOL) in my in daily work and use Emacs
> > together with cobol-mode.el to do it. My emacs-lisp skills are
> > mediocre at best but I will do my best to fix bugs and keep it
> > working. But my ambition is to work on the missing features listed in
> > the package, update it to include changes in the COBOL standards,
> > improve the indentation and maybe in the future work on a tree-sitter
> > implementation.
>
> That sounds great!
>
> > I do have very little knowledge about how a Elpa package like this is
> > usually developed and how the commit process works so any information
> > and tips are welcomed.
>
> Currently the repository is part of elpa.git itself, but if someone else
> were to take over maintenance, we could switch it to mirroring some
> external repository that you would create.  You can use any Git forge
> you like (I'd personally recommend Codeberg or Sourcehut).
>
> Any changes you push to that repository will automatically be
> synchronised upstream.  To release a new package, you just have to bump
> the ";; Version: ..." header at the top of the file.
>
> How does that sound like to you?

That sounds great!
I'm in the process of setting up a repository on Sourcehut. I will let you know when it's ready!

I guess I just take the files from Elpa (just "cobol.el" from what I can see) and commit it to my new repo?

@ 2024-05-05 14:10     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-05-05 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kristofer; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

kristofer@hjelmtorp.se writes:

>> On 05/03/2024 7:42 AM CEST Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
>>

>> kristofer@hjelmtorp.se writes:
>>
>> > Greetings Emacs maintainers.
>> >
>> > I noticed in the last update to the Elpa package; cobol-mode.el,
>> > that is now orphaned and that you are looking for someone to step
>> > up and maintain it.
>> >
>> > I would be willing to take over that role if you would let me. I
>> > work with COBOL (IBM Enterprise COBOL) in my in daily work and use
>> > Emacs
>> > together with cobol-mode.el to do it. My emacs-lisp skills are
>> > mediocre at best but I will do my best to fix bugs and keep it
>> > working. But my ambition is to work on the missing features listed in
>> > the package, update it to include changes in the COBOL standards,
>> > improve the indentation and maybe in the future work on a tree-sitter
>> > implementation.
>>
>> That sounds great!
>>
>> > I do have very little knowledge about how a Elpa package like this is
>> > usually developed and how the commit process works so any information
>> > and tips are welcomed.
>>
>> Currently the repository is part of elpa.git itself, but if someone else
>> were to take over maintenance, we could switch it to mirroring some
>> external repository that you would create.  You can use any Git forge
>> you like (I'd personally recommend Codeberg or Sourcehut).
>>
>> Any changes you push to that repository will automatically be
>> synchronised upstream.  To release a new package, you just have to bump
>> the ";; Version: ..." header at the top of the file.
>>
>> How does that sound like to you?
>>

> That sounds great!
> I'm in the process of setting up a repository on Sourcehut. I will let
> you know when it's ready!
>
> I guess I just take the files from Elpa (just "cobol.el" from what I
> can see) and commit it to my new repo?

I think it would be better if you preserved the history by basing your
modifications on the branch in elpa.git:

  git clone -b externals/cobol-mode https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git

and then pushing that to SourceHut.

>> > I have recently signed and sent in my FSF papers.
>> >
>> > Best Regards
>> > Kristofer Hjelmtorp
>>
>> --
>> 	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine

--
	Philip Kaludercic on icterid

* Re: Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-05-05 19:22       ` kristofer
From: kristofer @ 2024-05-05 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> On 05/05/2024 4:10 PM CEST Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
>

> kristofer@hjelmtorp.se writes:

> >> That sounds great!

> >> Currently the repository is part of elpa.git itself, but if someone else
> >> were to take over maintenance, we could switch it to mirroring some
> >> external repository that you would create.  You can use any Git forge
> >> you like (I'd personally recommend Codeberg or Sourcehut).
> >>
> >> Any changes you push to that repository will automatically be
> >> synchronised upstream.  To release a new package, you just have to bump
> >> the ";; Version: ..." header at the top of the file.
> >>
> >> How does that sound like to you?
> >>

> > That sounds great!
> > I'm in the process of setting up a repository on Sourcehut. I will let
> > you know when it's ready!
> >
> > I guess I just take the files from Elpa (just "cobol.el" from what I
> > can see) and commit it to my new repo?
>
> I think it would be better if you preserved the history by basing your
> modifications on the branch in elpa.git:
>
>   git clone -b externals/cobol-mode https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git
>
> and then pushing that to SourceHut.

Thanks for the instructions!

I have created a new repository not at sourcehut; https://git.sr.ht/~hjelmtech/cobol-mode, and made one commit to change the maintainer.

Does it look good, or should I change something?

@ 2024-05-05 19:32         ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-05-05 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kristofer; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

kristofer@hjelmtorp.se writes:

>> > That sounds great!
>> > I'm in the process of setting up a repository on Sourcehut. I will let
>> > you know when it's ready!
>> >
>> > I guess I just take the files from Elpa (just "cobol.el" from what I
>> > can see) and commit it to my new repo?
>>
>> I think it would be better if you preserved the history by basing your
>> modifications on the branch in elpa.git:
>>
>>   git clone -b externals/cobol-mode https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git
>>
>> and then pushing that to SourceHut.
>>

> Thanks for the instructions!
>
> I have created a new repository not at sourcehut; https://git.sr.ht/~hjelmtech/cobol-mode, and made one commit to change the maintainer.
>
> Does it look good, or should I change something?

It looks good to me, and the ELPA build system isn't complaining either.
If you are ready and there are do objections, I can update elpa.git to
mirror your repository.

@ 2024-05-06 19:44           ` kristofer
From: kristofer @ 2024-05-06 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> On 05/05/2024 9:32 PM CEST Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:
>

> kristofer@hjelmtorp.se writes:

> >> I think it would be better if you preserved the history by basing your
> >> modifications on the branch in elpa.git:
> >>
> >>   git clone -b externals/cobol-mode https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git
> >>
> >> and then pushing that to SourceHut.
> >>

> > Thanks for the instructions!
> >
> > I have created a new repository not at sourcehut; https://git.sr.ht/~hjelmtech/cobol-mode, and made one commit to change the maintainer.
> >
> > Does it look good, or should I change something?
>
> It looks good to me, and the ELPA build system isn't complaining either.
> If you are ready and there are do objections, I can update elpa.git to
> mirror your repository.

I'm ready! Though I still have not received confirmation from FSF on the paperwork, but I do have signed and sent them in.

@ 2024-05-06 20:00             ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-05-06 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kristofer; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

kristofer@hjelmtorp.se writes:

>> > Thanks for the instructions!
>> >
>> > I have created a new repository not at sourcehut; https://git.sr.ht/~hjelmtech/cobol-mode, and made one commit to change the maintainer.
>> >
>> > Does it look good, or should I change something?
>>
>> It looks good to me, and the ELPA build system isn't complaining either.
>> If you are ready and there are do objections, I can update elpa.git to
>> mirror your repository.
>>

> I'm ready! Though I still have not received confirmation from FSF on the paperwork, but I do have signed and sent them in.

Oh, I misunderstood that.  In that case we have to wait anyway.  Ping me
when it's done, I assume that anyone with comments on the issue will
have had enough time to send a message until then.

@ 2024-05-20  6:42               ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-05-20  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kristofer; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>>> It looks good to me, and the ELPA build system isn't complaining either.
>>> If you are ready and there are do objections, I can update elpa.git to
>>> mirror your repository.
>>>

>> I'm ready! Though I still have not received confirmation from FSF on
>> the paperwork, but I do have signed and sent them in.
>
> Oh, I misunderstood that.  In that case we have to wait anyway.  Ping me
> when it's done, I assume that anyone with comments on the issue will
> have had enough time to send a message until then.

Ping?  Any updates here?

--

@ 2024-05-20  6:57                 ` Andrea Corallo
From: Andrea Corallo @ 2024-05-20  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: kristofer, emacs-devel@gnu.org

>>> I'm ready! Though I still have not received confirmation from FSF on
>>> the paperwork, but I do have signed and sent them in.
>>
>> Oh, I misunderstood that.  In that case we have to wait anyway.  Ping me
>> when it's done, I assume that anyone with comments on the issue will
>> have had enough time to send a message until then.
>
> Ping?  Any updates here?

I don't see Kristofer in the copyright file ATM.

So Kristofer I think would be good if you could ping FSF, if don't
succedee let me know and I can contact them to understand what's going
on.

Thanks

  Andrea

* Re: Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-05-20 10:51                   ` kristofer
From: kristofer @ 2024-05-20 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Corallo, Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> On 05/20/2024 8:57 AM CEST Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org> wrote:
>

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:

> >> Oh, I misunderstood that.  In that case we have to wait anyway.  Ping me
> >> when it's done, I assume that anyone with comments on the issue will
> >> have had enough time to send a message until then.
> >
> > Ping?  Any updates here?
>
> I don't see Kristofer in the copyright file ATM.
>
> So Kristofer I think would be good if you could ping FSF, if don't
> succedee let me know and I can contact them to understand what's going
> on.
>
> Thanks
>
>   Andrea

I sent another email to FSF to hear how it is going. I'll let you know if I don't get any response in a following days.

Kristofer

* Re: Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-06-05 19:46                   ` kristofer--- via Emacs development discussions.
From: kristofer--- via Emacs development discussions. @ 2024-06-05 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Corallo, Philip Kaludercic; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

> On 05/20/2024 8:57 AM CEST Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org> wrote:
>

> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:

> >> Oh, I misunderstood that.  In that case we have to wait anyway.  Ping me
> >> when it's done, I assume that anyone with comments on the issue will
> >> have had enough time to send a message until then.
> >
> > Ping?  Any updates here?
>
> I don't see Kristofer in the copyright file ATM.
>
> So Kristofer I think would be good if you could ping FSF, if don't
> succedee let me know and I can contact them to understand what's going
> on.
>
> Thanks
>
>   Andrea

Hello again!

I have now got confirmation from FSF that my assignment is complete.

//Kristofer

* Re: Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-06-06  5:48                     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-06-06  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kristofer; +Cc: acorallo, philipk, emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2024 21:46:58 +0200 (CEST)
> Cc: "emacs-devel@gnu.org" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
> From: kristofer--- via "Emacs development discussions." <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
>
> I have now got confirmation from FSF that my assignment is complete.

Right, confirmed.  We can go ahead with your maintainership of this
package.

Thanks!

* Re: Maintenance of cobol-mode.el on ELPA
@ 2024-06-06  6:22                     ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-06-06  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kristofer; +Cc: Andrea Corallo, emacs-devel@gnu.org

kristofer@hjelmtorp.se writes:

>> On 05/20/2024 8:57 AM CEST Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org> wrote:
>>

>> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:

>> > Ping?  Any updates here?
>>
>> I don't see Kristofer in the copyright file ATM.
>>
>> So Kristofer I think would be good if you could ping FSF, if don't
>> succedee let me know and I can contact them to understand what's going
>> on.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>>   Andrea
>
> Hello again!
>
> I have now got confirmation from FSF that my assignment is complete.

OK, I have now updated the package specification in elpa.git to point to
your repository.  Just keep in mind that nothing will change, until you
bump the version tag in the package header.

--
	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine