* "save place in file between sessions" broken ?
@ 2003-08-07  9:41 KIRCHE Sébastien
From: KIRCHE Sébastien @ 2003-08-07  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
when i issue the command Options/Save place in file between sessions,
(C-h l says <menu-bar> <options> <save-place>)
I get the message "Symbol's value as variable is void: save-place" in
minibuffer...
The message buffer adds "toggle-save-place-globally: Symbol's value as
variable is void: save-place"

It's with Emacs 21.3.50.1 (clean CVS checkout from yesterday) on OS X
I can't say if it was recently broken, as I never used it before.

Any clue ?

Sébastien Kirche

------------------------------------------ Ce message et tous les fichiers
qui y sont attachés contiennent des informations confidentielles,
exclusivement destinées à la personne à laquelle elles sont adressées. Dans
l’hypothèse où ce message ne vous serait pas destiné, nous vous remercions
de le retourner immédiatement à son émetteur et de le supprimer. La
publication, la distribution, l’impression ou tout autre usage non autorisé
de ce message est strictement interdit. Les idées et opinions contenues dans
ce message sont celles de son auteur et ne représentent pas nécessairement
celles du Groupe Sage.

* Re: "save place in file between sessions" broken ?
@ 2003-08-07 23:31 ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2003-08-07 23:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Sebastien.Kirche@sage.com writes:
> when i issue the command Options/Save place in file between sessions,
> (C-h l says <menu-bar> <options> <save-place>)
> I get the message "Symbol's value as variable is void: save-place" in
> minibuffer...
> The message buffer adds "toggle-save-place-globally: Symbol's value as
> variable is void: save-place"
>
> It's with Emacs 21.3.50.1 (clean CVS checkout from yesterday) on OS X
> I can't say if it was recently broken, as I never used it before.
>
> Any clue ?

I'll build from CVS and take a look.

The variable 'save-place' is defined in saveplace.el.  In menu-bar.el
it looks like macro 'menu-bar-make-toggle' creates the function
'toggle-save-place-globally' to set/unset that variable, but perhaps
saveplace.el has not been loaded, so the variable is not defined.

Thanks for the report,
-Karl

* Re: "save place in file between sessions" broken ?
@ 2003-08-08  0:31 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-08-08  0:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel (Messagerie)

KIRCHE Sébastien wrote:

> when i issue the command Options/Save place in file between sessions,
> (C-h l says <menu-bar> <options> <save-place>)
> I get the message "Symbol's value as variable is void: save-place" in
> minibuffer...
> The message buffer adds "toggle-save-place-globally: Symbol's value as
> variable is void: save-place"

Does anyone know if this ever worked?

AFAICS, it looks like it fails because in the menu-bar-make-toggle
macro, (custom-load-symbol 'save-place) does not load saveplace.el.
This is because (get 'save-place 'custom-loads) returns nil, because
cus-load.el has not been loaded.

The custom-load-symbol definition used to live in cus-edit.el (which
requires cus-load), but was moved to custom.el (which does not load
cus-load.el) specifically so it could be used with the menu-bar.
I think this may have broken it.

Should custom.el therefore (require 'cus-load)?

* Re: "save place in file between sessions" broken ?
@ 2003-08-12  0:10 ` Karl Fogel
From: Karl Fogel @ 2003-08-12  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel (Messagerie)

=?WINDOWS-1252?Q?KIRCHE_S=E9bastien?= <Sebastien.Kirche@sage.com> writes:
> when i issue the command Options/Save place in file between sessions,
> (C-h l says <menu-bar> <options> <save-place>)
> I get the message "Symbol's value as variable is void: save-place" in
> minibuffer...
> The message buffer adds "toggle-save-place-globally: Symbol's value as
> variable is void: save-place"
>
> It's with Emacs 21.3.50.1 (clean CVS checkout from yesterday) on OS X
> I can't say if it was recently broken, as I never used it before.
>
> Any clue ?

Okay, I think this is fixed in revision 1.242 of lisp/menu-bar.el.
Please post if you see further problems.

-Karl