Who needs to sign off to do the release? Is that only Eli or Stefan? On Mar 18, 2023 at 3:08 PM -0600, Corwin Brust , wrote: > On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 2:30 PM Drew Adams wrote: > > > > > > > The latest RC I see at https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/emacs-28 > > > > > is RC1, dated 2023-02-19. > > [snip] > > > > Duh. For some reason I was seeing the "rc1" in the name > > and not noticing the "28.3" in the name. Thx. > > Yay, glad that was it. I appreciate that you are trying these out. > > FTR, the prerelease tarball Stephen make creates Emacs 28.3. That's > slightly different from what I think of as normal but might work to > our advantage. > > The only part of the file names I thought about, particularly, was > deciding to append "-rc1" to the base names for this set. The base > names are generally derived from how Emacs built from the tarball > self-identifies. In particular, "nsi" script (which creates the > self-installer) is fairly fussy about how we name the folder > containing Emacs as produced by "make install"; I'd have had various > stuff to figure out I'd wanted to publish this as 28.2.90 (even > assuming I'm correct that would have been a more typical version > identifier for prerelease we're discussing, which I'm not quite ready > to). > > Usually, the pre-release tarballs I've worked with create Emacs > versioned as X.Y.Z, with "X" being the relevant major version, "Y" > being the last stable minor version of that major version (or zero if, > e.g. the prerelease will become X.1), and "Z" being 90 + (count of > prior pre-release tarballs published). > > In any case, even if I have *that* hopelessly (or quite trivally) > wrong, even aside how the Windows binaries are named, I think there > may be a practical upshot: > > Stephen and I can potentially republish the same tarballs to the other > site to release Emacs 28.3, effectively turning the pre-release into > the release. > > Do we agree that would work? And that we are ready? Are there > ancillary changes, such as updating online manuals[0]? > > Eli? > > [0] https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/