From: storm@cua.dk (Kim F. Storm)
Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Connection drops data if it sent too quickly
Date: 06 Feb 2003 00:31:18 +0100	[thread overview]

Michael Albinus <Michael.Albinus@alcatel.de> writes:

> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>
> > Perhaps we should put that into process-send-string so that Lisp code
> > won't need to concern itself with this issue.  But I wonder
> > whether the bug is in ssh.  If so, that's the place to fix it.
> >
> > If Emacs is talking to some other program instead, does the same
> > bug happen?
>
> I've written some few lines which reproduce the problem under HP-UX
> with all Emacsen available for me (20.7, 21.2, 21.2.93):
>
> (with-temp-buffer
>   (let ((bytes 1000)
> 	(proc (start-process (buffer-name) (current-buffer) "wc" "-c")))
>     (process-send-string proc (make-string bytes ?x))
>     (process-send-eof proc)
>     (process-send-eof proc)
>     (accept-process-output proc 1)
>     (goto-char (point-min))
>     (re-search-forward "\\w+")
>     (message "Bytes sent: %s\tBytes received: %s" bytes (match-string 0))))
>
> No problem under other Unices, like Solaris.

So this sounds like a HP-UX specific problem.

As such, it would be great if the current 0.1 second chunk delay (and
similar delay in tramp-send-linewise) was a defvar which could be set
to 0.0 on non-HPUX (and non-Tru64) platforms.

That would make tramp run MUCH faster.  I tried this on GNU/Linux, and
it makes a huge difference!