* Misc. minor compile.el issues
@ 2002-12-06  0:34 Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2002-12-06  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw

The doc string for compilation-process-setup-function starts with a
`*' identifying it as a user option.  Does that really make sense?

IMO, it is similar to compilation-buffer-name-function which is
not a user option.

Related to this, I would like the setup function to be able to
access the buffer and/or window for the compilation process (e.g.
to set buffer-local variables).

Currently, this can be achieved by accessing the dynamic bound
variables `outbuf' and `outwin' from the setup function, but that
seems like a gross hack.

It would make more sense to provide `outwin' as argument to the setup
function, but that would break existing code.

Alternatively, we could dynamically bind `compilation-window' and
`compilation-buffer' around the call to the setup function (and
document this "interface" in the compilation-process-setup-function
doc string).

This is still a hack, but using well-defined names.

As a final issue, I think that although the documentation for
compilation-process-setup-function says it is run just before the
process is started, it makes more sense to swap the following two
forms, to allow the setup function to control the
compilation-window-height:

	(compilation-set-window-height outwin)
	(if compilation-process-setup-function
	    (funcall compilation-process-setup-function))

In any case, I don't see any ill effects of swapping them.