I wrote a patch to add point-left and point-entered to overlays. I ended up adding the implementation in command_loop_1. The patch is attached - let me know if anything needs to be fixed. Thanks, Nathaniel Flath On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > By cursor motion, do you mean such as the cursor_to function in > terminal.c? > > No, not exactly. I mean more generally to trigger the code based on the > motion that happen from command to command. It could mean a hook in > something like cursor_to, but it could also mean a hook in > command_loop_1 (along the lines of what's done with > adjust_point_for_property. > > > Adding these hook to that function seems to behave similarly to when I > add > > them to the point motion commands, > > The different between point-motion and cursor-motion can only be seen > for operations that do a lot of internal movement. > E.g. diff-context->unified. Point-motion hooks will be triggered many > times during a run of diff-context->unified (and may accidentally cause > it to fail) whereas cursor motion hooks should only be triggered once > after the command is done, so it can't cause it to fail. > > > in that modes or commands that do not appear to move the cursor( any > > mode that traverses the buffer) will still trigger the hooks. > > If such a hook is run a bit more often than strictly needed, it's > usually not considered a bug (tho it is recognized as a misfeature). > So it might still be acceptable. > > > Stefan >