Thanks for your comments! > > Also, the direction only changes at BOB and EOB, right? IOW, C-v and > M-v don't change the direction, right? If so, the text leaves that > unsaid. > No, with isearch-motion-changes-direction non-nil, M-< and C-v change the direction to forward, M-> and M-v to backward. IOW, C-v is a faster repeated C-s, M-v is a faster repeated C-r, M-< is a faster RET M-< C-s C-s, and M-> is a faster RET M-> C-r C-r. This is, I think, what a user would naturally expect, but I guess your preference is to leave the default of isearch-motion-changes-direction to nil (I would prefer to set it to t). I attach the updated patch, in which I included your other suggestions.