* CC Mode 5.30
@ 2003-06-19 13:42 Martin Stjernholm
From: Martin Stjernholm @ 2003-06-19 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: bug-cc-mode

Hello, Emacs developers!

I now have a new version of CC Mode finished. It has extensive
changes, and some of them affect the interaction with other packages:

o  CC Mode now contains the font lock support for its languages. This
   means that the corresponding patterns in the core font-lock package
   should be phased out. It also means that the font locking is
   different in various details for most languages, since it's now
   unified across all of them (except AWK).

o  CC Mode provides AWK support written by Alan Mackenzie. The old
   awk-mode.el should be removed. It was derived from CC Mode and no
   longer works well with it.

o  There has been internal changes which might break derived modes.
   There is however a new variable system that is designed to make it
   possible to write derived modes without getting too hard
   dependencies on the internal workings of CC Mode.

See <http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/changes-530.php> and
<http://cc-mode.sourceforge.net/changes-529.php> for all the details.

Needless to say, there'll be some things to clear up when this is
committed in the Emacs cvs. I'll do that, but it'll have to wait since
I'll be off net next week.

* Re: CC Mode 5.30
@ 2003-07-03 12:56 ` Martin Stjernholm
From: Martin Stjernholm @ 2003-07-03 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: bug-cc-mode

Martin Stjernholm <mast@lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Needless to say, there'll be some things to clear up when this is
> committed in the Emacs cvs. /.../

Done, but I haven't yet cleaned up the old font lock patterns in
font-lock.el or the old AWK mode. Please add bug-cc-mode@gnu.org to
the recipient list for problems concerning C, C++, Objective-C, Java,
IDL, Pike and AWK modes.

* Re: CC Mode 5.30
@ 2003-07-03 21:19   ` Tak Ota
From: Tak Ota @ 2003-07-03 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thu, 03 Jul 2003 14:56:51 +0200: Martin Stjernholm <mast@lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Martin Stjernholm <mast@lysator.liu.se> wrote:
>
> > Needless to say, there'll be some things to clear up when this is
> > committed in the Emacs cvs. /.../
>
> Done, but I haven't yet cleaned up the old font lock patterns in
> font-lock.el or the old AWK mode. Please add bug-cc-mode@gnu.org to
> the recipient list for problems concerning C, C++, Objective-C, Java,
> IDL, Pike and AWK modes.

After this change .c files now open in C++ mode.

-Tak

* Re: CC Mode 5.30
@ 2003-07-03 21:57     ` Martin Stjernholm
From: Martin Stjernholm @ 2003-07-03 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

Tak Ota <Takaaki.Ota@am.sony.com> wrote:

>> Done, but I haven't yet cleaned up the old font lock patterns in
>> font-lock.el or the old AWK mode. Please add bug-cc-mode@gnu.org to
>> the recipient list for problems concerning C, C++, Objective-C, Java,
>> IDL, Pike and AWK modes.
>
> After this change .c files now open in C++ mode.

Sorry, but I fail to duplicate that.

* Re: CC Mode 5.30
@ 2003-07-03 22:19       ` Tak Ota
From: Tak Ota @ 2003-07-03 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Thu, 03 Jul 2003 23:57:18 +0200: Martin Stjernholm <mast@lysator.liu.se> wrote:

> Tak Ota <Takaaki.Ota@am.sony.com> wrote:
>
> >> Done, but I haven't yet cleaned up the old font lock patterns in
> >> font-lock.el or the old AWK mode. Please add bug-cc-mode@gnu.org to
> >> the recipient list for problems concerning C, C++, Objective-C, Java,
> >> IDL, Pike and AWK modes.
> >
> > After this change .c files now open in C++ mode.
>
> Sorry, but I fail to duplicate that.

I made bootstrap from the head of 21.3.50 CVS.  One possibility is the
problem is specific to my platform.  I am building emacs with MSVC++
6.0 and running on windoze 2K.  This system may fail to distinguish
".c" from ".C".  Anyway, the one built from 6/30 CVS opens .c file in
c mode while 7/03 opens the same file in c++ mode here.  Can someone
in similar environment verify this?

-Tak

* Re: CC Mode 5.30
@ 2003-07-04  6:25 David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2003-07-04  6:25 UTC (permalink / raw

Hi,

Since that change Emacs fails to load generic-x with the following error:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-variable c-emacs-features)
   (memq (quote 8-bit) c-emacs-features)
   (cond ((memq ... c-emacs-features) (modify-syntax-entry ...
   (progn (defvar rul-generic-mode-syntax-table nil ...
   (and (memq (quote rul-generic-mode) generic-extras-enable-list) ...
   eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "generic-x" nil t)
   ;;; Reading at buffer position 37707
   load-with-code-conversion("c:/opt/emacs/lisp/generic-x.el" "generic-x" nil t)
   require(generic-x)

It seems that `c-emacs-features' was an auto-loaded definition in
previous version of cc-vars.el (1.29).

I tried to add an autoload cookie to `c-emacs-features' in cc-vars.el and
rebuilt loaddef.el, but then loadup fails on missing definition for
`c-mark-<-as-paren'.

Hope this helps.

David

* Re: CC Mode 5.30
@ 2003-07-04 11:05 ` Martin Stjernholm
From: Martin Stjernholm @ 2003-07-04 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

David Ponce <david.ponce@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> It seems that `c-emacs-features' was an auto-loaded definition in
> previous version of cc-vars.el (1.29).

True. That was removed since several functions in CC Mode now is used
to compute the value of that variable, so the initialization can't be
copied into loaddefs.el.

I've instead removed the dependency on c-emacs-features in
generic-x.el. It was only used to detect whether a syntax table should
be populated in the Emacs or the XEmacs way, which is obvious anyway
in this case.

If other packages use it (a grep-find through the Emacs tree didn't
reveal any), they have to do (require 'cc-vars) first.

* Re: CC Mode 5.30
@ 2003-07-04 12:14         ` Martin Stjernholm
From: Martin Stjernholm @ 2003-07-04 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: bug-cc-mode, emacs-devel

Tak Ota <Takaaki.Ota@am.sony.com> wrote:

> /.../ One possibility is the problem is specific to my platform.  I
> am building emacs with MSVC++ 6.0 and running on windoze 2K.  This
> system may fail to distinguish ".c" from ".C".  /.../

That's a possible cause. Could you please try to move the entry

    ("\\.\\(CC?\\|HH?\\)\\'" . c++-mode)

in auto-mode-alist to the bottom of it and see if it helps?

If it does, I'll rearrange the autoload directives so that ".c" is
tested before ".C".

* Re: CC Mode 5.30
@ 2003-07-05 10:18 David Ponce
From: David Ponce @ 2003-07-05 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw
  Cc: emacs-devel

Hi,

 > > /.../ One possibility is the problem is specific to my platform.  I
 > > am building emacs with MSVC++ 6.0 and running on windoze 2K.  This
 > > system may fail to distinguish ".c" from ".C".  /.../
 >
 > That's a possible cause. Could you please try to move the entry
 >
 >     ("\\.\\(CC?\\|HH?\\)\\'" . c++-mode)
 >
 > in auto-mode-alist to the bottom of it and see if it helps?
 >
 > If it does, I'll rearrange the autoload directives so that ".c" is
 > tested before ".C".

That is definitively the case, when system-type is windows-nt (or
cygwin), Emacs can't distinguish ".c" from ".C".  Here is the relevant
code in function `set-auto-mode' in files.el, that set
`case-fold-search' before trying to `string-match' regexps in
`auto-mode-alist':

             (let ((alist auto-mode-alist)
		  (mode nil))
	      ;; Find first matching alist entry.
	      (let ((case-fold-search
		     (memq system-type '(vax-vms windows-nt cygwin))))
		(while (and (not mode) alist)
		  (if (string-match (car (car alist)) name)

I use the following hack in my startup file, that fixes the problem:

(when (eq system-type 'windows-nt)
   ;; File system is case insensitive.  Ensure that .C or .H will not
   ;; open in `c++-mode'.  Reorder `auto-mode-alist' so `c-mode'
   ;; regexps will be matched before `c++-mode' ones.
   (let* (aml cml)
     (dolist (elt auto-mode-alist)
       (if (eq 'c-mode (cdr elt))
           (push elt cml)
         (push elt aml)))
     (setq auto-mode-alist (nreverse (nconc aml cml))))
   )

Hope it helps.

Sincerely,
David