On 2023-08-11 14:49, Bruno Haible wrote: > Paul: With this simplification, you may consider using the 'boot-time' module > in Emacs. I bet that it produces a better result than Emacs' src/filelock.c > on many platforms. (I haven't tested it, but I could test it if you give me > a manual testing recipe.) Thanks for doing all that. I installed the attached patch into Emacs master, which you should be able to test via: git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git cd emacs ./autogen.sh ./configure make src/emacs Please give it a try, especially on any MS-Windows platform you happen to have. I have tested only on Ubuntu 23.04 so far. A simple way to test is to use Emacs to start editing a file (without saving) and then inspect the symbolic link .#* that Emacs uses as a lock file. The trailing digits of that link's contents should be the boot time. These symlinks are Emacs's only use of boot time.