* C-u prefix input (e.g., C-x f / set-fill-column)
@ 2007-10-19 14:45 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2007-10-19 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs- devel

The documentation for `fill-column' reads:

 > Interactively, you can set the buffer local value using C-x f.

When you do C-x f, you get an error message "set-fill-column requires
an explicit argument".

(The documentation for `set-fill-column' is okay.)

I would propose two changes:

1. The documentation should be

"Interactively, you can set the buffer local value using C-u <VALUE>
C-x f."

2a. When users forget to give an argument with C-u, the error message
should be

"set-fill-column requires an explicit argument with prefix C-u
<ARGUMENT>"

or something like that.
Or, better:

2b. Instead of displaying the above error message, the user should be
queried interactively for the argument, just like most interactive
functions do it. In other words, use (interactive "N") in `set-fill-
column' instead of "p".

FWIW, interactive "p" is used 213 times, but in most situations, the
prefix seems to be optional, i.e. the change to "N" wouldn't be
justified.

* Re: C-u prefix input (e.g., C-x f / set-fill-column)
@ 2007-10-19 15:05 ` Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2007-10-19 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-devel

> 2a. When users forget to give an argument with C-u, the error message
> should be

> "set-fill-column requires an explicit argument with prefix C-u
> <ARGUMENT>"

> or something like that.
> Or, better:

> 2b. Instead of displaying the above error message, the user should be
> queried interactively for the argument, just like most interactive
> functions do it. In other words, use (interactive "N") in `set-fill-
> column' instead of "p".

Wouldn't (current-column) be a reasonable default if no explicit
argument was given?

Ulrich

* Re: C-u prefix input (e.g., C-x f / set-fill-column)
@ 2007-10-19 15:21   ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2007-10-19 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: David Reitter, emacs-devel

Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> writes:

Hi Ulrich,

>> 2a. When users forget to give an argument with C-u, the error message
>> should be
>
>> "set-fill-column requires an explicit argument with prefix C-u
>> <ARGUMENT>"
>
>> or something like that.
>> Or, better:
>
>> 2b. Instead of displaying the above error message, the user should be
>> queried interactively for the argument, just like most interactive
>> functions do it. In other words, use (interactive "N") in `set-fill-
>> column' instead of "p".
>
> Wouldn't (current-column) be a reasonable default if no explicit
> argument was given?

I would object here.  (current-column) is a good default for
`set-goal-column', but for `set-fill-column' I'd prefer if it queries
the user if no prefix arg was given.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: C-u prefix input (e.g., C-x f / set-fill-column)
@ 2007-10-19 17:30     ` Ulrich Mueller
From: Ulrich Mueller @ 2007-10-19 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: David Reitter, Ulrich Mueller, emacs-devel

>> Wouldn't (current-column) be a reasonable default if no explicit
>> argument was given?

> I would object here.  (current-column) is a good default for
> `set-goal-column', but for `set-fill-column' I'd prefer if it queries
> the user if no prefix arg was given.

Hi Tassilo,

next time I shall read the source code _before_ posting. ;-)
Function set-fill-column contains the following comment:
;; Disallow missing argument; it's probably a typo for C-x C-f.

So the point is that plain "C-x f" should produce an error because it
is too similar to "C-x C-f". No default, and no further query.

Ulrich

* Re: C-u prefix input (e.g., C-x f / set-fill-column)
@ 2007-10-19 18:32       ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2007-10-19 18:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Mueller; +Cc: Tassilo Horn, emacs-devel

On 19 Oct 2007, at 18:30, Ulrich Mueller wrote:

> So the point is that plain "C-x f" should produce an error because it
> is too similar to "C-x C-f". No default, and no further query.

I think a further query would be appropriate. It is non-destructive,
easy to abort, and conveys the same message via the prompt.

(It's too late to choose a different binding!)

* Re: C-u prefix input (e.g., C-x f / set-fill-column)
@ 2007-10-19 23:45         ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2007-10-19 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: ulm, tassilo, emacs-devel

>> So the point is that plain "C-x f" should produce an error because it
>> is too similar to "C-x C-f". No default, and no further query.
>
> I think a further query would be appropriate. It is non-destructive,  easy
> to abort, and conveys the same message via the prompt.

Maybe this is for newbies who don't know how to abort this prompt
with C-g?

> (It's too late to choose a different binding!)

Late or not, a good and easy to remember key binding would be `C-x M-q'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* Re: C-u prefix input (e.g., C-x f / set-fill-column)
@ 2007-10-20  3:30 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2007-10-20  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-devel

I'd rather not make a change in this.