* Is it possible lock minibuffer's height
@ 2018-03-02  2:35 tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2018-03-02  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

I want to show minibuffer's content with  posframe and  hard lock the minibuffer's height to 1,
any method to do this job?

* Re: Is it possible lock minibuffer's height
@ 2018-03-02  7:24 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2018-03-02  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu, emacs-devel@gnu.org

 > I want to show minibuffer's content with  posframe and  hard lock the minibuffer's height to 1,
 > any method to do this job?

I suppose that would be a frame with a minibuffer and a root window -
correct?  Currently, we have no way to fix the size of the minibuffer
window on such frames but we can easily provide a new frame parameter
to do that.

But why can't you just use two frames instead - one for the root and
another for the minibuffer window?  A minibuffer-only frame has fixed
size.  Even if we will change that in the future, there must be a way
to inhibit that it resizes automatically.

martin

* Re:Re: Is it possible lock minibuffer's height
@ 2018-03-02  9:10   ` tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2018-03-02  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

>I suppose that would be a frame with a minibuffer and a root window -
>correct?  Currently, we have no way to fix the size of the minibuffer
>window on such frames but we can easily provide a new frame parameter
>to do that.
>
>But why can't you just use two frames instead - one for the root and
>another for the minibuffer window?  A minibuffer-only frame has fixed
>size.  Even if we will change that in the future, there must be a way
>to inhibit that it resizes automatically.
I do not test the second method,  my concern is :
two frames method seem to need deal with some focus edge case. which may not good deal with.

* Re: Is it possible lock minibuffer's height
@ 2018-03-02 13:13     ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2018-03-02 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

 > I do not test the second method,  my concern is :
 > two frames method seem to need deal with some focus edge case. which may not good deal with.

OK.  Please try with a few other tricks that could apply here: Setting
'max-mini-window-height' to 1 (you will probably have to make that
variable buffer local first) or fixing the height of the root window
('window-size-fixed' is already buffer local).

@ 2018-03-03  2:51       ` tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2018-03-03  2:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

I have test the tips you provide, it is work.
But the approach my used can not do well,  for I can not get some strings showed in minibuffer.
not all the string showed in minibuffer will go into the minibffer's buffer.

@ 2018-03-03  9:05         ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2018-03-03  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

 > I have test the tips you provide, it is work.
 > But the approach my used can not do well,  for I can not get some strings showed in minibuffer.
 > not all the string showed in minibuffer will go into the minibffer's buffer.

You would have to tell me more about this.  Please tell me first why
you want to show the minibuffer window on the child frame and not use
the parent frame's minibuffer window.  Child frames may have focus
problems depending on the platform used so maybe it's better to avoid
showing a minibuffer on them.

Then tell me please whether the string you want to show is (1) not
shown in any minibuffer window, (2) not in the minibuffer window of
the child frame, or (3) not in the child frame's minibuffer because
you fixed its size by some means.

Also does "not all the string" mean that the string gets truncated
somewhere?  Or is the problem that the minibuffer window shows your
string but it does not appear in the "right" minibuffer?

Thanks, martin

* Re:Re: Is it possible lock minibuffer's height
@ 2018-03-03 13:39           ` tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2018-03-03 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

At 2018-03-03 17:05:51, "martin rudalics" <rudalics@gmx.at> wrote:
> > I have test the tips you provide, it is work.
> > But the approach my used can not do well,  for I can not get some strings showed in minibuffer.
> > not all the string showed in minibuffer will go into the minibffer's buffer.
>
>You would have to tell me more about this.  Please tell me first why
>you want to show the minibuffer window on the child frame and not use
>the parent frame's minibuffer window.  Child frames may have focus
>problems depending on the platform used so maybe it's better to avoid
>showing a minibuffer on them.

I am not show minibuffer window on the child frame, I just use parent frame's minibuffer
window and use a childframe to show the buffer-string of " *MiniBuf-1*".

>Then tell me please whether the string you want to show is (1) not
>shown in any minibuffer window, (2) not in the minibuffer window of
>the child frame, or (3) not in the child frame's minibuffer because
>you fixed its size by some means.

I want to redirect *all* the string showed in minibuffer to a child frame.

>Also does "not all the string" mean that the string gets truncated
>somewhere?  Or is the problem that the minibuffer window shows your
>string but it does not appear in the "right" minibuffer?

I want to get all the string showed in minibuffer window, but this is
not a easy job.  message can let a string showed in minibuffer window,
but this string is not inserted into  " *Minibuf-0*" or " *Minibuf-0*"

@ 2018-03-03 16:25             ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2018-03-03 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tumashu; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

 > I am not show minibuffer window on the child frame, I just use parent frame's minibuffer
 > window and use a childframe to show the buffer-string of " *MiniBuf-1*".

So you simultaneously want to show the same text in the parent frame's
minibuffer window and in the child frame's root window?  Why?

 > I want to redirect *all* the string showed in minibuffer to a child frame.
[...]
 > I want to get all the string showed in minibuffer window, but this is
 > not a easy job.  message can let a string showed in minibuffer window,
 > but this string is not inserted into  " *Minibuf-0*" or " *Minibuf-0*"

Messages are usually displayed from the buffer " *Echo Area 0*.  Did
you mean that?

@ 2018-03-04  5:31               ` tumashu
From: tumashu @ 2018-03-04  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: martin rudalics; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org

At 2018-03-04 00:25:52, "martin rudalics" <rudalics@gmx.at> wrote:
> > I am not show minibuffer window on the child frame, I just use parent frame's minibuffer
> > window and use a childframe to show the buffer-string of " *MiniBuf-1*".
>
>So you simultaneously want to show the same text in the parent frame's
>minibuffer window and in the child frame's root window?  Why?

Maybe I just want to test it and want to know the effect :-)

> > I want to redirect *all* the string showed in minibuffer to a child frame.
>[...]
> > I want to get all the string showed in minibuffer window, but this is
> > not a easy job.  message can let a string showed in minibuffer window,
> > but this string is not inserted into  " *Minibuf-0*" or " *Minibuf-0*"
>
>Messages are usually displayed from the buffer " *Echo Area 0*.  Did
>you mean that?

Wow, thanks!