* (emacs-version) in the Elisp reference
@ 2017-06-20 12:39 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-06-20 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

In node 1.4, (emacs-version) is seen as evaluating to:

 "GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,
                       GTK+ Version 3.16) of 2017-06-01"

How can that be since HEAD is at 26.0.50 ?

Jean-Christophe

* Re: (emacs-version) in the Elisp reference
@ 2017-06-20 15:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-06-20 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2017 21:39:34 +0900
>
> In node 1.4, (emacs-version) is seen as evaluating to:
>
>  "GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,
>                        GTK+ Version 3.16) of 2017-06-01"
>
> How can that be since HEAD is at 26.0.50 ?

The manual is evidently already ready for the first release of Emacs 26.

* Re: (emacs-version) in the Elisp reference
@ 2017-06-20 19:56   ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-06-20 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 0:29, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

>> In node 1.4, (emacs-version) is seen as evaluating to:
>>
>> "GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 1, x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu,
>>                       GTK+ Version 3.16) of 2017-06-01"
>>
>> How can that be since HEAD is at 26.0.50 ?
>
> The manual is evidently already ready for the first release of Emacs 26.

Yes, but that's weird to hard code it since a few lines higher there is:

This is
@iftex
edition @value{VERSION} of
@end iftex
the @cite{GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual},
corresponding to Emacs version @value{EMACSVER}.

(why not hard code it here?)

And also a few lines below there is:

@defvar emacs-major-version
The major version number of Emacs, as an integer.  For Emacs version
23.1, the value is 23.
@end defvar

@defvar emacs-minor-version
The minor version number of Emacs, as an integer.  For Emacs version
23.1, the value is 1.
@end defvar

(why hardcode values that do not correspond to the current manual?)

@ 2017-06-20 22:55     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2017-06-20 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

> (why hardcode values that do not correspond to the current manual?)

Becuase they are just illustrative examples, and nothing would be gained
by changing them to always refer to the current version.

* Re: (emacs-version) in the Elisp reference
@ 2017-06-20 23:25       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-06-20 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 7:55, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>
>> (why hardcode values that do not correspond to the current manual?)
>
> Becuase they are just illustrative examples, and nothing would be gained
> by changing them to always refer to the current version.

In that case, I beg to differ. They are in the elisp reference manual to illustrate the values of functions or variables. When you read the manual in the Emacs whose version corresponds to the manual (as it is supposed to be the case) and you evaluate them, there are no reasons why they would not reflect the actual numbers of the Emacs version.

@ 2017-06-21  2:35         ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2017-06-21  2:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@gmail.com>
> Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 08:25:23 +0900
>
> >> (why hardcode values that do not correspond to the current manual?)
> >
> > Becuase they are just illustrative examples, and nothing would be gained
> > by changing them to always refer to the current version.
>

> In that case, I beg to differ. They are in the elisp reference manual to illustrate the values of functions or variables. When you read the manual in the Emacs whose version corresponds to the manual (as it is supposed to be the case) and you evaluate them, there are no reasons why they would not reflect the actual numbers of the Emacs version.

This is a very minor issue, to be sure, and so are the gains.

We could use the value of EMACSVER where the full version is
mentioned.  But how do you suggest to change this part:

> @defvar emacs-major-version
> The major version number of Emacs, as an integer.  For Emacs version
> 23.1, the value is 23.
> @end defvar
>
> @defvar emacs-minor-version
> The minor version number of Emacs, as an integer.  For Emacs version
> 23.1, the value is 1.
> @end defvar

to use EMACSVER?  Texinfo doesn't have text-processing function to
extract the major and minor version numbers from a version string.
Are we going to introduce 2 more variables?  If so, how will we update
them when producing a release?  We do that automatically for EMACSVER.

Given this complexity, I think you can understand Glenn's response.

* Re: (emacs-version) in the Elisp reference
@ 2017-06-21  3:39           ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-06-21  3:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs development discussions

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 11:35, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> to use EMACSVER?  Texinfo doesn't have text-processing function to
> extract the major and minor version numbers from a version string.
> Are we going to introduce 2 more variables?  If so, how will we update
> them when producing a release?  We do that automatically for EMACSVER.
>
> Given this complexity, I think you can understand Glenn's response.

I understand. Too bad.

@ 2017-06-21 10:09       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2017-06-21 10:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

> On Jun 21, 2017, at 7:55, Glenn Morris <rgm@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
>
>> (why hardcode values that do not correspond to the current manual?)
>
> Becuase they are just illustrative examples, and nothing would be gained
> by changing them to always refer to the current version.

Sorry, back to the thread.

If we hardcode 1 value, why not hardcode the 2 other:

@defvar emacs-major-version
The major version number of Emacs, as an integer.  For Emacs version
26.1, the value is 26.
@end defvar

@defvar emacs-minor-version
The minor version number of Emacs, as an integer.  For Emacs version
26.1, the value is 1.
@end defvar

That's an even better illustration of the variables and it costs extremely little since we already hardcode the value of (emacs-version).

@ 2017-06-22  1:56     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2017-06-22  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary; +Cc: eliz, emacs-devel

  > @defvar emacs-major-version
  > The major version number of Emacs, as an integer.  For Emacs version
  > 23.1, the value is 23.
  > @end defvar

  > @defvar emacs-minor-version
  > The minor version number of Emacs, as an integer.  For Emacs version
  > 23.1, the value is 1.
  > @end defvar

  > (why hardcode values that do not correspond to the current manual?)

It is just an example.  It is meant to illustrate how these variables
relate to the version number.  It might be better to choose an
obviously fictitious example, since that way we will never have to change
it.

--
Dr Richard Stallman