I have never seen this error message in all my time using emacs: Network unreachable!Try M-x auto-install-handle-emacswiki-package-name afterward. (I did have a network connection.) It was surely caused by the following two lines in my .emacs, which I have now removed: ;; (require 'auto-install);; (auto-install-update-emacswiki-package-name t) Probably with the package system, auto-install is no longer necessary. Just wanted to note a behavior difference between rc1 and rc2, and put this into emacs-devel for posterity. JDO