* Select and Paste
@ 2006-11-30  1:35 Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-11-30  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

is a very nice feature to have in the menus but maybe not the best name
for it since "Select" in nearly the same context refers to selecting
text in the buffer.

Maybe "Paste More"?

BTW "Paste" is enabled when you are in an info buffer, but "Select and
Paste" is not.

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-11-30 19:48 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-11-30 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    is a very nice feature to have in the menus but maybe not the best name
    for it since "Select" in nearly the same context refers to selecting
    text in the buffer.

    Maybe "Paste More"?

How about Paste Menu?

    BTW "Paste" is enabled when you are in an info buffer, but "Select and
    Paste" is not.

That seems like a bug, but it doesn't happen when I try it,
and the code checks buffer-read-only.  Can you debug why it
fails for you?

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-01 11:54   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-12-01 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 14:48:43 -0500
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>     is a very nice feature to have in the menus but maybe not the best name
>     for it since "Select" in nearly the same context refers to selecting
>     text in the buffer.
>
>     Maybe "Paste More"?
>
> How about Paste Menu?

How about "Paste From Menu"?

>     BTW "Paste" is enabled when you are in an info buffer, but "Select and
>     Paste" is not.
>
> That seems like a bug, but it doesn't happen when I try it,
> and the code checks buffer-read-only.  Can you debug why it
> fails for you?

The fact that Paste and Select and Paste behave differently is not a
bug: Paste could be enabled because Emacs sees text in the X selection
(or the Windows clipboard).  In that case, if the Emacs kill-ring is
empty, Select and Paste will be disabled.

As for the buffer-read-only test, I see that it doesn't work in more
than just Paste: for example, Cut also becomes enabled when I mark a
region in a read-only buffer.  I didn't have time to debug this,
though.

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-01 12:35     ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-12-01 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, rms, emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> How about Paste Menu?
>
> How about "Paste From Menu"?

or:

Paste from kill-ring  ?

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-01 14:35   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-01 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     is a very nice feature to have in the menus but maybe not the best name
>     for it since "Select" in nearly the same context refers to selecting
>     text in the buffer.
>
>     Maybe "Paste More"?
>
> How about Paste Menu?
>
>     BTW "Paste" is enabled when you are in an info buffer, but "Select and
>     Paste" is not.
>
> That seems like a bug, but it doesn't happen when I try it,
> and the code checks buffer-read-only.  Can you debug why it
> fails for you?

If I start with

    emacs -Q

and go into an Info buffer then the "Paste" entry in the Options menu in
the menu bar is enabled. I am using w32. So this does not happen on
GNU/Linux?

Could someone tell me where the code is that should enable/disable the
"Paste" entry? I tried to find it but it was not that simple.

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-01 15:30       ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-01 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Eli Zaretskii, rms, emacs-devel

Kim F. Storm wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>>> How about Paste Menu?
>> How about "Paste From Menu"?
>
> or:
>
> Paste from kill-ring  ?

That is a killer suggestion. I like it.

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-01 20:21     ` Stuart D. Herring
From: Stuart D. Herring @ 2006-12-01 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: rms, emacs-devel

> Could someone tell me where the code is that should enable/disable the
> "Paste" entry? I tried to find it but it was not that simple.

Look in menu-bar.el.  The :enable predicates control those menu entries,
which you can find just by searching for their names.  Unfortunately, I
don't see the bug there myself.

Davis

shipping.

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-01 22:02     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-01 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, emacs-devel

    > That seems like a bug, but it doesn't happen when I try it,
    > and the code checks buffer-read-only.  Can you debug why it
    > fails for you?

    The fact that Paste and Select and Paste behave differently is not a
    bug: Paste could be enabled because Emacs sees text in the X selection
    (or the Windows clipboard).  In that case, if the Emacs kill-ring is
    empty, Select and Paste will be disabled.

Both of these have conditions of the form (and ... (not buffer-read-only)),
so I don't see how either of them could be enabled in a read-only buffer
regardless of other circumstances.

The same is true of Cut.

Can anyone debug this?  Does anyone else see it fail this way?

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-02 17:55     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-02 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    If I start with

	emacs -Q

    and go into an Info buffer then the "Paste" entry in the Options menu in
    the menu bar is enabled. I am using w32. So this does not happen on
    GNU/Linux?

It does not happen for me.

    Could someone tell me where the code is that should enable/disable the
    "Paste" entry? I tried to find it but it was not that simple.

menu-bar.el.

From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-02 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, storm

    > Paste from kill-ring  ?

    That is a killer suggestion. I like it.

All yanking comes from the kill-ring, so "Paste from kill-ring" does not
really say how this is different from "Paste".

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-02 19:53       ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2006-12-02 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, Eli Zaretskii, emacs-devel

 >     > That seems like a bug, but it doesn't happen when I try it,
 >     > and the code checks buffer-read-only.  Can you debug why it
 >     > fails for you?
 >
 >     The fact that Paste and Select and Paste behave differently is not a
 >     bug: Paste could be enabled because Emacs sees text in the X selection
 >     (or the Windows clipboard).  In that case, if the Emacs kill-ring is
 >     empty, Select and Paste will be disabled.
 >
 > Both of these have conditions of the form (and ... (not buffer-read-only)),
 > so I don't see how either of them could be enabled in a read-only buffer
 > regardless of other circumstances.
 >
 > The same is true of Cut.

Maybe because the key definitions come from `menu-bar-enable-clipboard'.

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-02 20:54           ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2006-12-02 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: eliz, emacs-devel, storm

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     > Paste from kill-ring  ?
>
>     That is a killer suggestion. I like it.
>
> All yanking comes from the kill-ring, so "Paste from kill-ring" does not
> really say how this is different from "Paste".

But a difference is that when you choose Paste it could come from other
programs too. So I think "Paste from kill-ring" is a good suggestion.

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-03  5:07         ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2006-12-03  5:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: lennart.borgman.073, eliz, emacs-devel

    Maybe because the key definitions come from `menu-bar-enable-clipboard'.

That could be it.  For sure, those definitions should have suitable
:enable conditions.

Can you add some?

* Re: Select and Paste
@ 2006-12-03 10:04           ` martin rudalics