On 2016-07-04 17:28, Robert Weiner wrote: > Why can't you just generate a lower resolution screenshot? There > must be a way to do so that would match the speed of capturing a > higher resolution shot. Possibly :) Lower resolution is not necessarily the best, though; for screenshots, things tend to become quite blurry when resizing. Instead, one can reduce the font size that emacs uses and make smaller screenshots. See https://github.com/cpitclaudel/company-coq/ for examples of this (the https://github.com/cpitclaudel/company-coq/#snippets-and-smart-commands has auto-generated gifs, though they use a different technique). > Great. Ease of use and speed of generation would both help > determine how much it is used. How long, for example, does it take > to generate the last video you showed with the annoations (after the > frames have been captured)? About 20 seconds, I think: ImageMagick's gif generation isn't the fastest. I hear that gifsicle is better; it could be worth exploring! > I also run Emacs natively on Mac OS X's display system, so I would > have to find another frame capture program or else just run it under > X for this use only. http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/56561/how-do-i-find-the-windowid-to-pass-to-screencapture-l might be useful too :) Clément.