On 2016-07-03 03:45, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org >> From: Clément Pit--Claudel >> Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 00:36:07 -0400 >> >> It's true :) I'd like to make screencasts (gifs) by saving a picture of an Emacs window or frame after each redisplay (I tried a number of programs that record screencasts, but they all gave disappointing results; by saving a picture (and a timestamp) after each redisplay, I might get much better results). > > As a temporary measure, try calling your code from the function > update_end (you will have to modify the C sources for that). Thanks for the pointer. I applied the attached patch, and it works very nicely. Could we refine it into a proper feature and apply it to master? Or are there reasons against a post-display hook? > I think such an application needs to hook into the GUI system, not > into Emacs. That's because, at least on X, AFAIK Emacs doesn't > necessarily flush the queue of X commands each time it finishes > redisplay, so you may be disappointed by the results anyway. It actually works very nicely :) Out of luck, maybe? In any case, I've uploaded a screencast generated by saving a screenshot at the end of each redisplay cycle to http://web.mit.edu/cpitcla/www/emacs-screencast.gif . Let me know what you think! It behaves nicely wrt, for example, the pulsing of xref-find-definition or the animations of M-x butterfly. Cheers, Clément.