On 04/09/2016 03:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > The default fontset already defines specific blocks to be handled by > these fonts, see fontset.el. What problems, specifically, do you have > with the default setup and the current emacs-25 branch? I get relatively inconsistent results in terms of which font is chosen to display a given symbol. The pair of fonts that I mentioned (Ubuntu Mono and Symbola) was just an example; my question is about configuring fallbacks for any given pair of fonts: it could be Source Code Pro and Asana Math instead of Ubuntu Mono and Symbola, for example. >> What's the proper way to configure font fallback? > > In general: find the characters you want to change and augment the > default fontset to use the font you want for them. Is it enough to augment the default fontset? Changing the :height of the 'default font creates a new fontset, which doesn't respect the fallbacks that I configure. Hence my using (dolist (ft (fontset-list)) (set-fontset-font ft 'unicode (font-spec :name "Ubuntu Mono")) (set-fontset-font ft 'unicode (font-spec :name "Symbola") nil 'append)) > But let's first see the specific problems you have with the Emacs 25 > defaults. This issue got some attention a few months ago, so I'm > surprised to hear there are still problems in that area. > >> *Note*: for testing purposes, here are a few math characters: `ℕ𝓟⧺×≠≥≤±¬∨∧∃∀λ⟿⟹⊥⊤⊢` > > Which, if any, of those give you trouble with the default fontset? 𝓟 is displayed using `Latin Modern Math' in emacs -Q, it seems. In any case, Ubuntu Mono and Symbola were just two examples.