On 03/09/2016 02:07 PM, Drew Adams wrote: > Got it. Ancient Greek octopus (plural octopodes) is the origin. But octopodes in English is ambiguous (could refer to octopus or octopod). > In English both octopuses and octopi are in use. Octopi, though > a mistaken creation and less common, is nevertheless loved for > its quirkiness. http://grammarist.com/usage/octopi-octopuses/ I'm not a native speaker so I don't really get a say. Still, I hear it often enough and sufficiently many dictionaries acknowledge it that it sounds fine to me :)