* Copyright years update in etags test suite
@ 2016-01-30 10:35 Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-30 10:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

The wholesale changes of Copyright years modified the test files in
the etags test suite, and thus all the tests started to fail.

I fixed this, but I wonder whether we really need to do these updates
in the etags test suite.  The source files there are not maintained in
any way, so perhaps they could be skipped?

If we do have to update the Copyright there, then the annual update
procedure should include the corresponding update to the
expected-results files.

* Re: Copyright years update in etags test suite
@ 2016-01-30 18:18 ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-01-30 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I fixed this, but I wonder whether we really need to do these updates
> in the etags test suite.  The source files there are not maintained in
> any way, so perhaps they could be skipped?

Although I suppose skipping could be arranged in the procedure that updates
copyrights, this would be a change to copyright-notice policy which would
probably require going through channels and getting it approved.

> If we do have to update the Copyright there, then the annual update
> procedure should include the corresponding update to the
> expected-results files.

How about another idea: fix tests so that they are robust in the presence of
changes to copyright notices. After all, tests are supposed to be testing
features, not copyrights. I don't know which tests were failing and why, so I
don't know how much work this would be.

* Re: Copyright years update in etags test suite
@ 2016-01-30 18:25   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-30 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 10:18:29 -0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I fixed this, but I wonder whether we really need to do these updates
> > in the etags test suite.  The source files there are not maintained in
> > any way, so perhaps they could be skipped?
>
> Although I suppose skipping could be arranged in the procedure that updates
> copyrights, this would be a change to copyright-notice policy which would
> probably require going through channels and getting it approved.

I understand.

> > If we do have to update the Copyright there, then the annual update
> > procedure should include the corresponding update to the
> > expected-results files.
>
> How about another idea: fix tests so that they are robust in the presence of
> changes to copyright notices. After all, tests are supposed to be testing
> features, not copyrights. I don't know which tests were failing and why, so I
> don't know how much work this would be.

All of the etags tests failed, because the TAGS file records both line
numbers and character positions of tags.  The latter changed for tags
from any test file that has an FSF Copyright notice; the former
changed for tags from a few test files that inserted an extra line
(because the Copyright notice became too long for a single line).

Fixing the tests for such effects would mean somehow parsing the TAGS
files, extracting the numbers, and correcting them for the inserted
text, which sounds like a PITA for something that happens once a year.
Is there an easier way?

* Re: Copyright years update in etags test suite
@ 2016-01-30 18:28     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-01-30 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Fixing the tests for such effects would mean somehow parsing the TAGS
> files, extracting the numbers, and correcting them for the inserted
> text, which sounds like a PITA for something that happens once a year.
> Is there an easier way?

Sure: strip the copyright lines from the files before feeding the files into the
test. That should be an easy prepass.

* Re: Copyright years update in etags test suite
@ 2016-01-30 18:29       ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-30 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 10:28:24 -0800
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > Fixing the tests for such effects would mean somehow parsing the TAGS
> > files, extracting the numbers, and correcting them for the inserted
> > text, which sounds like a PITA for something that happens once a year.
> > Is there an easier way?
>
> Sure: strip the copyright lines from the files before feeding the files into the
> test. That should be an easy prepass.

The file names are important for the test, so you are in effect
talking about copying the test files into a separate directory and
editing them there, right?

* Re: Copyright years update in etags test suite
@ 2016-01-30 18:33         ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-01-30 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> The file names are important for the test, so you are in effect
> talking about copying the test files into a separate directory and
> editing them there, right?

Yes, that's the idea.

* Re: Copyright years update in etags test suite
@ 2016-01-30 18:40           ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-01-30 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Paul Eggert <eggert@cs.ucla.edu>
> Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 10:33:27 -0800
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > The file names are important for the test, so you are in effect
> > talking about copying the test files into a separate directory and
> > editing them there, right?
>
> Yes, that's the idea.

Patches are welcome ;-)