On 1/8/16 8:54 AM, Kaushal Modi wrote: >> Eli, do you think this would be acceptable ? > > Actually, after I replied, it made me think.. > > Instead of a mysterious lonely "+" argument, would it make more sense to > a descriptive argument like "--files-with-linenum-colnum"? > > Eli and the emacs-dev list, feel free to suggest if this is a good idea > or if a different argument name is more appropriate. Why not instead of adding the new option, rearrange the logic so that it only tries to parse the ":linenum" part if the file doesn't exist? ie: emacsclient somefile:1234 tries to open "somefile:1234", then if it fails, looks for the :1234 and tries to open "somefile" and jump to line 1234. That shouldn't surprise anyone with weirdly named files and you don't need to learn any new command line options. -David