On 01/03/2016 03:39 PM, John Wiegley wrote: >>>>>> Daniel Colascione writes: > >> Do you have any idea who would run the servers that would receive these >> reports? At both Facebook and Microsoft, the resources necessary to store >> user crash reports are quite significant, and I wouldn't impose that burden >> on the FSF. We'd definitely need some kind of aggregation and sampling >> approach. > > I rent a VPS that doesn't do a whole lot (mostly just forwards mail and runs > my personal webblogs). I administer dovecot and postfix on that box, and would > be happy to receive and store crash reports there. I run a similar machine. I suspect that both servers would promptly melt, implode, and then, through sheer energy density, collapse into black holes. Even in this decadent age, there are a *lot* of Emacs users. I think we can start with the Emacs-next master branch and get a feeling for what kind of workload this project would involve. By the way: Ubuntu (my distribution of choice these days) has its own crash reporting system, this appport/whoopsie thing. I wonder whether we can sample their existing Emacs crash reports somehow. Microsoft also has a way for software vendors to get crash reports from Windows Error Reporting. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ErrorTracker