On 12/30/2015 10:30 PM, Richard Stallman wrote: > > * The function `mac-start-animation' provides several animation > > effects via Core Animation. > > It looks like this feature would only be for MacOS, so we should not > install it. If you would like to help the cause of freedom, one way > you can do so is by not releasing this code at all. You'll probably just interpret this email as an attack on free software or something, so I really shouldn't bother sending it --- but I really can't help in this particular instance pointing out how absurd it is to claim that someone shouldn't provide a trivial interface to platform graphical facilities, and support emojis, merely because nobody's bothered to implement these facilities on GNU/X11/GTK/Linux. I probably shouldn't point this out, but Emacs on OS X already supports invoking AppleScript. There's no GNU/Linux equivalent. Quelle horreur! > > * Emoji display, with support of variation sequences (text-style > > vs. emoji-style) and modifiers (skin tones) if the font supports > > them. > > Reportedly this needs changes in other parts of GNU/Linux first. > Until then, we should not install it. Why don't *you* send a patch? That way, we can make both Emacs and GNU/Linux better instead of making Emacs worse to accomplish making GNU/Linux look marginally better --- actually, in accomplish nothing, since nobody's fooled into thinking OS X lacks features merely because Emacs doesn't support them. > > * Blend-and-blur of background color on OS X 10.10 and later > > via face's stipple attribute: e.g., (set-face-stipple > > 'fringe "alpha:50%"). > > Likewise for this, I think. > > Above all, we need to avoid falling into thinking with the wrong values. > Our freedom is more important than any number of features like these. Do you even care that your strategy hasn't been working?