On 12/29/2015 07:57 PM, Christopher W Carpenter wrote: > Clément Pit--Claudel writes: > >> On 12/29/2015 07:09 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote: >>> Since adding feature to GNU Emacs that give more advantage to >>> non-free platforms might encourage the latter >> >> I don't think many people care whether they are using GNU Emacs or a fork thereof, so I'm not sure it would change much to the current situation (people on MacOS can use a version of Emacs that has more features than the ones available on GNU/Linux). >> >>> this seems to make a stronger case in favor of adding support for all >>> (?) of the features in question on GNU/Linux than doing anything >>> else, like merging Emacs Mac Port. >> >> Fully agreed; it seems clear to me that the priority is in getting more of these features in Emacs for GNU/Linux. >> >> I was just pointing out that as due to the current situation, I've had people >> point out to me that my Emacs experience would be nicer on MacOS than on >> GNU/Linux (and they are right: the best Emacs experience today is not on >> GNU/Linux). These people were not running GNU Emacs, but indeed that doesn't >> matter in terms of freedom (though it does matter in terms of using GNU Emacs to >> promote the GNU project). > > > FWIW emacs of Mac OS X (any of the versions I tried before just > installing debian on my macbook) have significantly degraded buffer > performance compared to Linux. I believe bugs were filed about it but > most of the core dev team don't have a mac to test on. > > If you do any heavy buffer updating (like using emacs as a terminal > emulator) you can actually slow down the process creating the output. > > So no, even from a practical sense you would not have a nicer experience > in MacOS IMHO. I see. I don't own a Mac, so I can't tell; it's good news that GNU Emacs on GNU/Linux still has an edge over the Mac versions :) I've heard people say a lot of good things about smooth scrolling on Mac; I imagine they didn't run into the problem that you pointed out.