On 12/29/2015 07:51 AM, Richard Stallman wrote: > [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider ]]] > [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies, ]]] > [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]] > > > It was my understanding that it is fine to have features that a volunteer is > > willing to do the work for, just not to promote features that would make a > > non-GNU platform more attractive (such as, by devoting any other resources to > > their development, or giving them special status in any way). > > That is basically right. More precisely, we don't want GNU Emacs to give > people any practical reason to prefer some other system to GNU. Yet this is precisely what we do, unwillingly: GNU Emacs lack of features on GNU Linux (compared to forks available on other systems) gives people practical reasons to use a non-GNU Emacs, on a non-free platform (that's where Emacs (but not GNU Emacs) works best). Thus not accepting these MacOS-specific features in GNU Emacs only encourages people to prefer a non-GNU fork of Emacs; it doesn't do anything to prevent them from switching to a non-free platform. In conclusion, instead of using GNU Emacs on a non-free platform, people use a non-GNU Emacs on a non-free platform.