Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> >What sort of error? > "Wrong type argument: char-or-string-p, nil". See the attached image, Although you applied the patch to emacs-25, the patch was intended for master. emacs-25 and master disagree here because of emacs-25 commit 2dd3581b78a5fe15e0562b1cc2daa6e3afeeec4a dated December 25 "Restore info about the build host in bug reports". This explains why I did not observe the problem on master, whereas you observed it on emacs-25. I just now installed into emacs-25 the attached, which should future-proof the Dec. 25 change whenever it happens to be merged into master. > the reproducible build is not (yet) the standard > build, it's more like an anomaly at this time, so I thought we should > have the string explain itself. And nil cannot explain anything. That is what documentation is for, no? :-) Having now had some experience with using the deterministic-build API in code, I far prefer using (if FOO ...) to something like (if (string-equal FOO "(elided due to deterministic builds)") ...). Not only would the the latter be longer and harder to read, it would mean I need to go to the documentation and see how the magic-cookie string is spelled and would be likely to make a typo there, which means we would need to give the magic cookie a name like ‘deterministic-build-system-name’ to catch typos so that the code will instead be (if (string-equal FOO deterministic-build-system-name) ...), and then we would need to give similar names to the magic cookies used for other things like emacs-build-time that are elided. This would all be complete overkill. It is much simpler to use nil to represent missing information; this is easier to remember and read and document and it fits squarely within the Emacs Lisp tradition.