Philipp Stephani wrote: > It would be great to defer > the discussion about naming, string vs. nil etc. until later so that this > project can make progress; there's still enough time to discuss until the > changes get releases. Better yet, let's just get that stuff done now. I'm attaching a followup that I hope works well enough. The first patch is a copy of yours, except with the commit message reformatted a bit for Emacs standards. The second patch is the followup. The third patch is the two patches combined; this should be easier to review than looking at the individual patches. The basic ideas behind the second patch: * Document the changes in etc/NEWS and in the relevant part of the manual. * Use "deterministic-build", not "deterministic-dump", for the name. I didn't understand the need for two variables here; we can add another one if needed. * Represent unknown values with nil, not with magic strings like "elided" or "unknown". * Make emacs-build-time deterministic, too. * Adjust the output of emacs-version and similar functions to omit the build date. * Remove what appears to be an unnecessary initialization in 'main'.