On 12/21/2015 10:33 PM, Paul Eggert wrote: > Daniel Colascione wrote: >> Most programs you use don't bother trying to detect or recover from sack >> overflow. Why should they? C stack overflow is a programming error. > > Emacs is different because it's programmable, and it must respond > robustly to programming errors. It's programmable in Lisp. Lisp stack overflows shouldn't kill Emacs. I'm suggesting that we shouldn't care about *C* stack overflows. >> The current stack overflow scheme can't recover reliably >> because it doesn't fix maintain invariants. > > It works well enough now for people to get work done. Introducing > modules should not break this. Modules can just dereference NULL or call abort. Writing a module is more dangerous than writing a bit of elisp.