On 10/22/2015 03:49 PM, Philipp Stephani wrote: > > > Aurélien Aptel > schrieb am Do., 22. Okt. 2015 > um 14:57 Uhr: > > I've added user-pointer objects. Some feedback I had off-list: > > * add functions to the API for fast vector access as it currently > requires too much boxing/unboxing of integers for doing > length/indexing stuff. > > > This would make sense. Same with things like car and cdr etc. > However, we should be careful not to overload the module interface. It > might make sense to do some basic measurements using a real-life example > and optimize only the hotspots. Agreed. > > > * expose fast read-only string access (not sure how do-able this is > considering the encoding problem) > > > If the internal Emacs encoding is not defined, then we probably > shouldn't expose it to modules. What should modules do with such string > access? They could only treat the contents as opaque byte arrays. Agreed, although there may be a reasonable case for an API that provides direct access to strings that happen to be ASCII (or UTF-8) and that runs a conversion otherwise, all transparently.