On 10/04/2015 12:55 PM, Paul Eggert wrote: > Daniel Colascione wrote: >> Any compiler modern enough to support C99 also >> supports synthesizing 64-bit integers from whatever the platform makes >> available. > > No, all that C99 requires is support for integers *at least* 64 bits. > C99 does not require support for int64_t, i.e., integers that are > *exactly* 64 bits. > > If we need a type that is at least 64 bits wide, we can use int_fast64_t > or int_least64_t. These types are required by C99 and will work even on > the rare platforms that lack native 64-bit words. But really, I'm > hoping we can avoid the *int*64* stuff. What's the point of putting a > 64-bit limit on an API that is supposed to be long-lived and portable? Can you really imagine a general-purpose machine with 128-bit words? Why would you build such a thing?