* unicode-2, Emacs.app terminal mode after multi-tty merge
@ 2007-11-04 19:00 Adrian Robert
From: Adrian Robert @ 2007-11-04 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

I updated Emacs.app (Mac Cocoa port) to run under the multi-tty
changes as merged into the unicode-2 branch, however before releasing
I need to solve one remaining problem: when run as -nw, the default
face is set to green foreground, yellow background.  (If I go to
customize-face it actually says "green" and "yellow".)  This occurs
with emacs -Q -nw and is new -- unicode-2 CVS before the merge
produces a black-on-white default face.

Someone suggested something in my terminal settings caused the
problem, though I don't have any customization (moved aside .cshrc).
However the Apple terminal itself may be the cause?  If I run under an
xterm the problem goes away, but I'm in black-and-white mode.  Setting
the TERM variable under Apple terminal to various values likewise
either gives green/yellow or full b-&-w mode.

Anyway if anyone has any suggestions as to where to start hunting, I
would be grateful.

Another question -- is there any way to ask the new emacsclient to
open a frame in the default windowing terminal?  There is the
--display argument but that seems to force X.  What about adding
--terminal=zz, with zz='default' meaning $DISPLAY env variable (X), or
normal GUI display on Mac or Windows?  Or simply "-gui" as a synonym
for --terminal=default?

Finally, is basic use of multi-tty from inside emacs documented
anywhere?  I read about some functions in the NEWS but could not find
out how to get a list of the available terminal names to use for 'tty'
arguments, or how to specify displays in non-X environments.  E.g.,
I'd like to throw up a GUI window from inside a -nw session.

thanks,
Adrian